Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 15, 2009

One of Life's Riches

This morning I was reading some old writings from years past while waiting for divine inspiration for today's posting. I started seeing a pattern in my closings I had not realized before now. Very often, I closed with saying, "Call a friend, kiss a baby....". Every time I saw it I smiled. I can only guess that closing came from a subliminal effort to encourage people to reach out to those they love and do something that makes you feel good...such as kissing a baby! These writings were over a number of years and I do not remember purposely making those points but I did it often.

We were blessed this past weekend to have seen some old friends and felt the warmth that comes from being with and talking to those you love. Too often we get wrapped up in our day to day busy and put off talking to someone we really care about. For me, I know this to be true. I realized a few years back that too much time had passed since I talked to a relative I considered to be important in my life. How important could they feel to me if so many years had flown by since we last spoke? Not very!

I had a daily, weekly and monthly routines created and printed out in a binder to help me stay on track keeping up with the chores of our home. If it was not on one of those routines, it might not happen, so I re-wrote the weekly routine to include making time to call two someones I had not spoken to in a while. This may sound silly but it helped create the mentality of purposing to stay in touch with loved ones better. I still practice that today. The telephone commercial about reaching out and touching someone may be obsolete now but the heart of the message is still a good one.

So this is me encouraging you to call a friend, kiss a baby.......your life will be richer for it.

No comments: