Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Answered Prayer

This Sunday I had a very moving, emotional time in church. I had just stood up to say 'thank you' to the congregation from a young woman in our church that had undergone a complicated surgery for cancer. The church family had been providing dinner for her family since she was released from the hospital. She had asked me to extend her gratitude to everyone for all the help. I had just starting speaking on her behalf when she walked in the door. An awesome surprise! Isn't that just like God? It felt as if I was witnessing a holy moment as this walking example of answered prayers came through the door! As a church, we have been praying for her since the diagnosis. So to see her walk in was a living example of God's greatness and mercy. I cried through the next half of the service because I was so moved.

Too often, we take God's greatness for granted. Some people say God doesn't 'do' miracles today; that all that ended with the back cover of the Bible. Makes me sad for them! Not only are they incorrect, but they are missing the delight found in everyday life that God is doing. Not every miracle or act of God's hand comes in a bolt of lightening. For me, it only takes a look up into the night sky or the magic of a tiny hummingbird or seeing a weed grow up through concrete to remind me that there is power much greater than I. A power of such magnitude I can't even begin to comprehend. A vivid sunset reflects glorious beauty, a rainbow the gentle reminder, a cool breeze and refreshing water evidence of a loving Father.

Looking back over my life I can see so many answered prayers. Every time I think on all that God has done in my life, my faith grows stronger. God's greatness is displayed all around us, every where, every day. I encourage you to make some time to reflect on the works of God in your own life. Big ones, little ones, they are all examples of God's greatness and His love for you.

No comments: