Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 8, 2009

Truth for This Morning and Every Morning

The subject today is one near and dear to my heart. I've addressed this subject more than once and will do so again because I truly believe it is vital. God first in our lives means God first with our time, too. Life has a way of making demands on our time and attention; demands we feel we have to meet. I'm telling you, not one of us is so important that anything we could ever do is more important than spending time with God.

Years ago, when starting a new job, I noticed my supervisor sat at her desk reading the Bible before work every morning. At that time in my life, I was not walking out a faith walk; yet I was intrigued by her faithful habit. One day, I asked her why. She told me that she had learned the tone for her whole day was set by how she spent the first hours and giving the first time to being with God made her day much smoother. This made an impression on me and I never forgot her simple, life changing lesson.

We all struggle with the things of the world that we need to attend to, sometimes to the detriment of our faith walk. The struggle is not finding time but utilizing our time more wisely. I, for one, have struggled to find a balance between home and having the hours I need to devote to research and writing. Often I feel like I'm not sufficiently caring for either one. I borrow hours one day from the home to spend writing. Then the next day I borrow precious productive morning writing time for home responsibilities.

You know what, I can't do either one without giving time and attention to my private God time. How could I? He is my source, my strength and my inspiration. If I don't fill the well with His living water, I don't have the ability to dip into the refreshing that comes only from Him, much less pour it out in serving Him. How can I write Bible studies without time in the Bible? I can't!

You may be saying you don't write Bible studies so it's different for you. Sorry, my friend, but that thinking is wrong! Anything we touch, anything we undertake, we are able to do only because He has given us the gifts, talents, jobs, desires, etc.. Anything! Everything!! So, with that in mind, let's not get the cart before the horse. God first every day makes the rest of the day go much more smoothly. I now know this because I live this.

Practicing what I preach, this is me wishing you a Jesus-filled day!

No comments: