Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Time for a Change!

Early mornings have always been my most productive brain time. I’ve enjoyed that for the most part and waking early has never been a hardship for me. This was quite a good system when I was still in the workforce outside of writing. This time of year, gardening time throws a monkey wrench into my work schedule. I can only have limited time working in the sunlight due to the lupus. This makes early morning light the prime time for me to do the required maintenance on my veggie garden. Brain (writing) time vs. Garden time has, until this year, always been a little stressful for me.
This year God showed me I was limiting my vision to what I saw in front of me. I accepted without question a situation that did not meet my needs. As one that ‘analyzes things to death’ (to quote an old friend), it seems so silly now that I simply accepted the situation without trying to correct what no longer worked for me by simply complaining without changing. Thanks, Lord, I needed that eye-opening revelation!
I prayed for direction and submitted to the pull of research I felt the Lord led me to do. My question: Can I rewire my most productive brain time to allow me to write later in the day, when it’s too hot and sunny for me to be outside anyway?
Normally, I feel like ‘oatmeal brain’ that time of day and do routine chore that require little of my mental muscle. Is it possible to learn to restructure my mental energies and to control them instead of them controlling and dictating my time and abilities? God showed me that all I needed was to lean on my faith that He is still in control and able to help me change anything. That’s His part.
My part requires a commitment to faithfully stick with mental exercises needed to change habits and mindsets. My first act – commitment to change. The desire to make the changes has long been there. Desire alone is not enough. Everyone has things they would like to change about themselves and their lives but, like me, they complain about them without looking beyond what they saw in front of them.
           God’s vision is limitless! Why wouldn’t He want me to be able to garden to provide food for my family and still pursue my heart’s desire to serve Him through my writing? He would want is best for my family, of course. So, with God’s help and a determined heart for change, I am starting this morning to rewire my brain energy to suit my needs. 
       I will still get up early. It’s still dark out, so I have plenty of time to get the blog out and do my morning prayer/reading. I can ponder and contemplate ideas for writing as I do the gardening but I am learning to use the power of God to make the most of what He has blessed me to do. I’m excited. Feel a little silly that it never occurred to me before but I’m stepping in front of all that to push forward in my quest. I can’t wait to see what God has in store for me!

No comments: