Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Seasons of Life


For more years than I choose to count, I have watched PBS cooking, gardening and home improvement shows. I’ve learned much over the years and enjoy them still. America’s Test Kitchen’s Christopher Kimble writes a newsletter I receive called ‘Letter from Vermont’. It’s full of antidotes about life in rural Vermont. As I shared with my husband this morning, I have always fancied Vermont to be a magical place with glorious fall colors, snowy picturesque winters and down to earth, no nonsense people. I want to go there to see for myself.

The April newsletter hit my email IN box this morning and it made me smile, always does. The last paragraph piqued my mind’s eye as I saw life depicted in seasons. Here it is:  
Mud season is upon us and the weather has turned quite warm all of a sudden. I see people drinking coffee at the country store who look like they have been in hibernation for six months: hair tousled, clothes rumpled, with thick, scratchy beards and sleepy, wild eyes. That's the beauty of the country life. We go through a dark, sleepy winter, then we boil sap, drive through mud season, enjoy the rushing brooks and the first days of fishing, hay in the hot summer sun, and get ready for hunting season in September. Then we enjoy the fall—the foliage, bow season, cider making, and rifle season—ending with Thanksgiving and black powder week. Christmas comes soon after, and then we get the beagles ready for three months of running rabbits. Our root cellars are bare, the snow is melting, and it's time to hide Easter eggs once again.

I loved the life described by seasons...just like Scripture.
Ecclesiastes 3 A Time for Everything
 There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven--
    A time to give birth and a time to die; A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.
    A time to kill and a time to heal; A time to tear down and a time to build up.
    A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance.
    A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones; A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.
    A time to search and a time to give up as lost; A time to keep and a time to throw away.
    A time to tear apart and a time to sew together; A time to be silent and a time to speak.
    A time to love and a time to hate; A time for war and a time for peace.
 What profit is there to the worker from that in which he toils? I have seen the task which God has given the sons of men with which to occupy themselves.

I find great comfort in knowing that God made provisions for everything. No matter what ‘season’ in life you or I may be in now, there is another one on the way. A counter balance, so to speak. For we will cry tears and we will laugh. We will mourn and we will dance. We will plant and we will uproot. He’s covered it all and nothing last for more than its season. Good news is they are renewable. I’m feeling very positive this morning about my seasons. I am convinced we need be determined to appreciate each one as it comes. After all, the final line of that passage of scripture says: I have seen the task which God has given the sons of men with which to occupy themselves.  That’s my plan…occupy myself serving Him through all the seasons of my life until He calls me Home. Travel to Vermont not required, just desired. Enjoy your season today.

No comments: