Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Feral at Heart

I’ve spoken before about the feral cats claiming squatter’s rights to our front deck. Today the Lord used them as the subject for the holy tap on the shoulder. I’ve been up and doing my morning reading for some time now and while I read many an inspirational scripture, nothing jumped out at me as what the Lord wanted me to write on. So I left my office and made my breakfast while I waited on Him. Normally, the blog is long gone before I have breakfast and I do my ‘mommy’ chores of feeding the cats as I head back to my office to get back to work. This morning, no blog was forthcoming and I rearranged my routine. I’m glad I did.
                The cats gathered just outside the front door. Some on the table, a few on the bench, some with paws on the storm door watching for my approach. As I start to open the door to go out, they mass around my feet and I have to watch carefully not to get tripped up as they circle waiting for their breakfast. We store their food outside on the deck in a sealed bin inside a closed ice chest; they know it’s there, thus their close proximity to the door and food.
This morning as I bent over to scoop up the food, the Lord said - This is how some people approach me. They clamor for my provisions but keep their distance when I want to reach out to touch them, to love on them. As I ‘heard’ this in my spirit, I ‘saw’ masses of people circling in prayers of want and need. Like the cats, they waited - some impatiently, for God’s provisions to fill their needs. As their ‘bellies’ became full, they wandered off keeping a wary eye on the Lord, making sure He didn’t get too close lest their independence be threatened. That’s when it hit me, people are feral at heart.
We want the regular food to count on but only allow a brief touch once in a while to pacify our provider. My Honey thinks he makes progress in his relationship with the cats by strategically placing their food between his feet so he can touch and rub on them. They tolerate a small amount of this touching but it is out of need, not love returned. We know the difference, so does God.
Our dogs want nothing more than to lie down beside us, to climb up on our chests, to get as close as they possibly can, to love us back. They don’t care if we’ve been gone all day and out of sight or if they have been sitting next to us for hours, it doesn’t matter. Any and every chance to draw closer is utilized. The cats, meanwhile, do not ‘live’ with us in our home. They watch from the outside, peeking in through windows at the life going on. They witness it from a safe distance wanting only to insure their needs are met. We are but stage actors in their world with a part to play. Sadly, far too many people view God the same way.
This isn’t a dog vs. cat story. We love them all, just as God loves all people. It’s a poignant point the Lord wants to make with us today. It takes more than lining up in prayer for what you expect and/or hope the Lord will provide for you to have a real, loving relationship with Him. He will love and care for you because He loves you but look at all you’re missing when it’s not a true relationship where you love Him back. It’s not enough to ‘love’ that He provides. We need to seek His face, climb up in His lap and get as close to Him as we can on a daily basis. Love sought and returned changes the shape and condition of the feral heart.

No comments: