Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Watch Out for theTypo's


I was working on the blog for this morning about the glorious greens of spring when God stopped me short to point out something. The holy tap on the shoulder is familiar but once and a while He makes me stop writing a work in progress to make His point.

I type every day. By mid-afternoon, my fingers stop cooperating well and I spend more time correcting mistakes than I care to admit. Bear with me and I will, I promise, eventually get to the point God was showing me this morning. Way back in high school, I wanted to take a drafting class my senior year. I had completed all the required classes to graduate in my junior year but I was one of those strange ducks that liked school and wanted to stay. I previously had an art teacher that taught us to draw buildings and cities in perspective over bowls of fruit. I loved it and thought a career as an architect sounded interesting. I had a knack for it so I signed up for the drafting class.

The first day of my senior year, I was angry and disappointed to see they had replaced my drafting class with a typing class. I did not want typing. I saw no good reason to take it and went to my counselor’s office to find out why I was not in drafting. Remember, this was a long time ago. I was told the drafting class was usually filled with boys and since I was a girl, they put me in typing. If you know me the least little bit, you know this did not go down well at all. All my other classes were music and the arts. They didn’t think drafting would benefit me. TYPING! No way! I never crossed the threshold of the typing class. I never got to take drafting either. I spent the entire year working in the Dean of Womens office that class period. Blah!

I said all that to say this, I learned to type on my own. I did not learn the proper way and therefore am not as efficient as a trained typist but I am fast and get the job done. I’m a writer, I type a lot. 

Recently, a new curious habit popped up. While typing along as I think, I have noticed that each time I am typing the world ‘from’ I end up with the word ‘form’. I’m buzzing along and there it is: f-o-r-m. My fingers do it without so much as consulting my brain. It’s not a huge thing but it is a nagging bad habit that forces me to stop being productive and correct my mistake. You’d think it would go away after a while, but it happens nearly every time I attempted to use the word ‘from.’
 
This is the point I feel God was pointing out. We all try to rid ourselves of the known sins, the ‘biggies’ in plain sight. Perhaps we’ve become efficient at acknowledging and taking a stand against those hidden sins we think no one knows about, too. Regardless of how ‘good’ or ‘spiritual’ we think we are, most of us have some nagging bad habit that pops up and throws a monkey wrench in the flow of our daily spiritual life. Maybe you don’t see it all the time, but just get to thinking you’ve got all that holy stuff down and BAM, there it is, right in front of your face. It doesn’t take much; a little slip of the tongue with a snarky comment, a selfish action or thought, and the point is made. You have to stop and correct your behavior just like I have to stop and change my f-o-r-m to f-r-o-m. 

Maybe this is a God thing rather than an enemy thing. Maybe its God’s gentle way of keeping us humble so we don’t think more highly of ourselves than we should. Perhaps it is a speed bump on the highway of life to make us more purposed and focused on ridding all sins and unpleasing habits from our life. 

Regardless, without the corrections made, our work (life) is riddled with mistakes.

No comments: