Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

You Deserve a Break Today

I hopped up on my soapbox for a little ranting this morning. I have had it with those ridiculous commercials by lawyers ‘promising to get you what you deserve!’ Oh, pleeeeze!! I’m pretty sick of hearing people talk about what they deserve or don’t deserve, too. I’ve even caught myself justifying a cup of Starbuck’s coffee by telling myself I deserve a treat now and then….you should hear my self-talk after I realized I even had that conversation in my head! Okay, maybe not…I take it back; you don’t need to hear that.

People today have such a warped sense of entitlement; it’s gotten out of hand. Everyone thinks they ‘deserve’ only the best of whatever simply because they exist. Don’t get me wrong, I know there are plenty of people working to earn every little thing they possess or get but the majority of folks in this land have a grudge on their shoulders because they don’t have what they ‘deserve’ handed to them. What a disservice it is to allow one generation after generation to sit around on their derrieres with outstretched hands waiting…waiting and complaining because they ‘deserve’ better.

“We”, in part, created this monster when we decided we wanted to give our kids more of everything we wanted but didn’t get. It’s not a bad thing to want to be able to give your kids good things but it becomes bad when they believe they deserve everything simply because they breathe air. Attitudes get warped quickly when people are not taught they have to work to earn their way. The big world outside is not going to cater to them, yet there they sit…hands outstretched….waiting for what they deserve…*sigh*   

I know some kids that are paid to get good grades, a boy that is given a dollar every time he connects with the baseball in a game (a game he doesn’t like to play but he does like dollars). Guess those kids are in for a rude awakening…guess whose parents will be subsidizing their lifestyles before long? I had a cousin that never attempted to build a life of his own because his parents had money and he knew one day it would be his. He outlived his daddy, but not his mama. My cousin died of cancer in his early 40’s. He died sitting on his derriere with outstretched hands waiting. What a sad commentary. He spent his life indulging his fleshly appetites and bad habits but not becoming a productive member of the community. He felt he deserved the easy life.
 
I’m extremely thankful that God doesn’t give us what we deserve. Imagine life in this country if He did! Imagine your life, if he did? I hate to imagine my life, if He did. Ekk…not a pleasant thought, is it?

No comments: