Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, March 26, 2010

Waiting of the Lord

For a writer having writer’s block is a frustrating and bewildering thing. You sit with all the words and thoughts and concepts mulling around inside you yet they do not line up to make interesting reading much less make any sense to someone not peering inside your head. Sometimes you sit with fingers on the keyboard and your mind goes completely blank…nothing, nada, zilch.


Another area of thwarted creativity for THIS writer is when I feel God has given me a topic to write on and I can not put it down, nothing clicks. On Wednesday I felt the Lord was telling me to write on a specific topic. It seemed to come out of the blue like they sometimes do, remember ‘clarified butter’? I researched, read, prayed; I sat still longing for direction….then I did it all over again….repeatedly. Not wanting to do an injustice to His subject, I decided to wait until He gave me step 2. Thursday came and went with no further direction. I’m still waiting. So, until I know what it is He wants to say regarding this mysterious and elusive topic….I will write about something else.


This is the something else!


A Few of the Things I’ve Learned Waiting on the Lord

  1. He can out wait me! My timing has nothing to do with His timing and His timing is always going to trump me and mine.
  2. Another lesson I learned was that until He sees me stepping out with my foot in the air to take the next step, He won’t show me where my foot is to land. Step 2 ALWAYS comes after action in faith on my part.
  3. My frustration in waiting does not intimidate Him. It only makes me nuts.
  4. He is in action even if I can’t see it.
  5. His solution, direction, answers are always better than what I had in mind in the first place.


My dear friend, Cheryl, has been known to say, “You can steer a moving car better than a stopped one.” I’m sure that is paraphrased somewhat but you get the point.


I wonder if we appear to God like our puppy does to us. We tell him something to do or call him and he looks at us like he sees our lips moving but doesn’t hear a word. He cocks his head and looks all innocent then goes ahead doing what he wanted in the first place. The only time the puppy and his siblings are completely obedient is at bedtime when they know a treat is forthcoming. They dash to the kennels in great delight and enthusiasm. My Honey and I always look at each other as proud parents do when their kid is going something wonderful.


Are we the same with God, only dashing about in obedience when we think a treat or something we want is the end result? The desire to write about God and His ‘stuff’ is my heart’s desire, not because I think some great reward will come my way but because I know I could not string three words together without the gifts He gave me in the first place. I obey because I love Him and want to do whatever He asks of me. For now, I think I’m getting another lesson in waiting. This is me…actively waiting……..

No comments: