Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Look for the Label

Last night I had a hard time going to bed at a decent hour because a thunderstorm was moving across the horizon and I did not want to miss any of it. The horizon, from our deck vantage point this time of year is a 180* view, so that is a lot of territory to watch a storm cover. It was awesome. I had the big front door open so I could see out the storm door and the flashes of lightening against the dark sky thrill me. You can’t see the clouds in the darkness until the flash of lightening gives you a peek. It was not the most magnificent of lightening storms but it was enough to keep me hanging on in hopes of another curtain call. We’ve seen some whopper storms over the years. Last night was not even a Whopper Jr. but I was still too excited to go to bed.


The power surge of lightening fascinates me. I see it as a sneak preview of the majesty and power we will witness in heaven. God’s power is more magnificent than any storm we will see here but for an instant, we get a visual, a crumb off the power table of the All Mighty. It may be no more than a drop in the ocean of power but I consider it a privilege to observe it.


This morning the sky is painted with a variety of cloud types and colors. Over the years I had the chance to take photos of the sky and my favorites are always ones that have complex cloud activity. Fluffy white clouds are great for lying on your back and picking out animal shapes as a kid but give me the dramatic clouds every time! If you’ve never watched a storm come in over water, you’ve missed out! Growing up on the coast, I’ve lived through a few hurricanes, too. You don’t really get to see much of those through boarded up windows but you certainly get the sound effects loud and clear!! Going outside in the eye of the storm gives you an up close and personal view of nothing but clouds surrounding you as if you were in the middle of a giant smoke ring. Constantly moving and swirling, menacing clouds that seems to go on forever. Anyone doubting the power there….well, shame on them for being so obtuse.


We Christians can get caught up thinking on and preaching the mercy, grace and loving-kindness of God. These are all good things, of course. These are not the only qualities of God. It’s easy to say, “Yes, yes, God is all powerful” but do we ever really give that any contemplation? We know He heals, we know He provides for our needs, forgives, teaches, etc but do we spend enough time contemplating the power behind all those acts? I think we as a people have gotten to such a place of complacency and expectation that we do not recognize or even give thought to the power from which it all comes. To me this is a dangerous state to live in; rather like a newborn one ounce panda that crawls all over its giant mother, knowing she is needed and important but not having a clue to the size, magnitude and power that provides life itself. Blind and naked it squeals in times of fear and need….so do we.


I know there are those out there that think it foolish that I look for God in all things, all experiences but to me it feels authentic and purposed to look for the hand of God in everything that touches my world. What is out there that was not either created or orchestrated by God? Nothing! Some people make certain to have clothing or stuff with designer labels yet give no thought to the greatest designer off all time. Me, I am just thankful to and for The One who provides for me. His label is on everything! Look around, you’ll see Him everywhere, too, if you just look! It doesn’t take a bolt of lightening to see His power but they sure are exciting reminders.

No comments: