Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Check-Up

I had a ‘light bulb’ moment this morning I’d like to share. In preparation for a regular check-up with my cardiologist I was updating my info sheet. This is a form I created to help me remember any and everything I wanted to share with the doctor. I have a form for each of my Doctors on the computer in My Documents. When something comes up regarding my health, I make note on the appropriate doctor’s form while I’m thinking of it. We’ve all known the frustration of leaving a Dr visit and then remembering a question you wanted to ask or an issue you forgot to discuss. I know my limitations - so I write them down as they pop up. By the way, all my doctors love these sheets; it’s comprehensive and they do not have to go digging thru my file to refresh their memories. I save the document after up-dating and this saves time when I use it next. This is what it looks like:

Questions and Note for Dr. _______________ date of appt


Symptoms since last visit: List any or all symptoms as they pop up. Let the Doc decide if it was important or not, that’s why we pay them. The ortho doctor for my knee problem inadvertently helped discover a dangerous heart issue! Write it all down as it comes up.


Notes: This is where I list other physical issues currently in play: diabetes, etc and my questions as they come to mind.


Medicines: List of all my meds, dosages and when I take them. It is easy access to complete medication info in case of emergency, too, just print it & go!


Changes in Lifestyle since last visit: Good or bad, any changes go here


Dietary Habits already in place: List all again…good or bad


Healthy habits in place: Good habits I’ve managed to make part of my daily life


Changes needed as I see it: These are things I KNOW I need to do but have not completely incorporated into my daily life…..at least the Dr knows I think about them.


As I mentioned, my doctors love these forms, visits go more smoothly and I know I have covered everything I wanted to address. I take two copies, one for the Doctor, one for me; we are looking at the same thing and I use the back of mine to write down instructions and info I want to remember.


This is the light bulb moment…..if I can methodically look at and evaluate this medical information doesn’t it make sense to do a routine spiritual check-up to bring awareness to my personal spiritual issues that need attention? I like to think I have a fairly good grasp on where I stand but the act of writing it down brings clarity and accountability to the overall picture. No one stands over me to make sure I read the Bible or pray (good habits) nor does anyone point out when my routines are suffering from neglect. A quick self review would help keep me stay on track and catch a questionable routine before it becomes a bad habit. Rather like preventive medicine for my spiritual well being. As I mentioned in the first paragraph…I know my limitations. If creating a quick system of checks and balances to monitor myself can bring a fresh awareness and dedication in staying on track, then I’m all for it. Maybe you do not need to self-monitor but my flesh is very human, my attention can easily be diverted by all the noise of the world, my time can be squandered in other pursuits and my habits – spiritual or otherwise - can get sloppy when my flesh/attention/time is being demanded. I know my limitations.


God will faithfully do His part…I want to always be open to better ways to do mine!

No comments: