Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, August 6, 2009

The Things We Do

I’ll admit right off the bat; I am a creature of habit. I have ingrained patterns I follow without as much as a thought. If I were an animal, this might be called instinct but as it is, it is just habitual patterns I have created for myself.

For instance, I walk around when I talk on the phone. Even if I happen to be working at the time, I get up from my desk and walk around. Somewhere along the way I decided that I was wasting time and being unproductive if I was on the phone so I started walking in order to be doing something worthwhile. Walking is healthy and I certainly could use more activity in my life. So I walk.

I follow the same path every time. I usually start by walking around the kitchen island, into the living room, down the hall to make a U-turn and back up the hall, around the couches in the middle of the room, past the kitchen going into my bedroom to make another U-turn, back into the kitchen area where I started in the first place. I walk the entire time I’m on the phone. It is not uncommon for me to get winded because of all the walking I do. I don’t measure the length of my calls in minutes; I measure by the stage of breathlessness I reach before I hang up.

I have a friend that gets after me and reminds me to sit down from time to time. My phone walk is not a gentle meandering; it’s walking a fast clip. It’s pointless though. Even if I do sit down I pop back up without even realizing it and start the trek all over again. It’s silly, it’s like my bottom refuses to sit on a chair or the couch as long as the phone is touching my ear. Pavlov’s dog has nothing on me!!!

This morning I called a friend in hopes she might remember a conversation we had previously; I had shared something about which I wanted to write. As we talked, I began my ritualistic jaunt. Somewhere along the way, I lost my coffee cup.

I have a favorite coffee cup I prefer to use every morning…..another habit I might point out. But, like my walking phone conversations, this habit was birthed out of what I considered a logical matter. I had hand surgery last year and this cup is a light weight china cup that is not too heavy for my hand. It has a leopard print all over it, so you would think it would be easy to spot. Not so! I continued the walk as I looked for it. I take the same path every time so I felt confident it would be along the usual route somewhere. After making several rounds, I started getting a bit frustrated. My cup was nowhere to be seen. I didn’t want any more coffee at this point; I just wanted to know what happened to my stinking cup!

I explained my dilemma to my friend and we verbally walked through my route as I looked once more. Then it occurred to me to check in the master bath on that leg of the journey. Lo and behold, there it was on the bathroom counter! I had stopped in on an earlier lap to see if I had something in my eye; consequently, leaving my coffee cup. I had deviated from my routine only slightly and disrupted my habitual pattern. Good heavens! That's sad. Wanting to settle my now stressed mind, I need a cup of my favorite British tea, which I drink out of a favorite china tea cup (Hmmm, see a pattern?) but it's not my normal tea time. Oh, dear, what have I become?

The things we do...........

No comments: