Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Enjoying God

I KNOW the meaning of enjoying God in my life; and I have to tell you, nothing brings me more regret than looking back on all the years of my life I wasted before giving my life to God and having that relationship with Him. I honestly don’t know how I survived before then.

My appreciation for the things of glory the Lord sets before me everyday is amplified because of my knowledge of what life was before Him. I see people living lives of desperation; they don’t know Him. They are paranoid about everything and everyone. They see the boogieman behind every bush and around every corner. Blinded by their own limitations and vision, they struggle in every area of their life. I know this because I did this!

Sadly, some people think ‘having fun’ is the same thing as being happy and ‘being happy’ is the same as joy. ‘Having fun’ is what we do to distract ourselves from our realities when our realities are of the world and not in Christ. If we can spin the world fast enough, drink enough alcohol, use enough drugs, spend enough money, we can try to forget we are miserable and headed nowhere as fast as we can run.

Now, that is not to say you can’t ‘have fun’ and be a follower of Christ. Some of most fun times I’ve had have been with Christian brothers and sisters. The difference is, I wasn’t looking to things of the world or flesh for that deep seeded need inside to be filled. Christ filled to it over running.

‘Happy’ is a feeling. Happy feels good. Happy is temporary. Happy can disappear in a flash before your eyes and you’ll never know where it went. THIS is why the Bible tells us not to go by what we feel but by what we KNOW…….and what we know when we have Christ as our Lord and savior is that, no matter what is going on in and around us, He is in control. If He is for us, who can be against us!! THIS makes me happy!

However, it’s the JOY of the Lord that is constant and fulfilling; It warms the very heart of me. My joy is not dependent on me being happy or having fun. My joy is in knowing, loving, serving and enjoying the Lord. I KNOW and therefore ENJOY the Lord and I want everyone else to have that same thing! Sharing what the Lord is in my life brings me joy!

No comments: