Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Color Me Blessed

As inept as I sometimes feel regarding my abilities, I am enjoying some modern technologies in the social networking world. I have a MySpace page, created to follow what was going on in the lives of my grandchildren. I don’t find it very user friendly. Consequently, not much time spent there.

I am also on Facebook and enjoy it very much. Little snippets from the lives of friends, old and new, help me feel connected in the busy-busy, rush-rush world. I like being able to see the pictures they post of all things important to them. Again, just tiny box-like windows into the lives of those I care about.

I was telling my dear friend, Helen, how at one time I scheduled in a day once a week for connecting with two friends. Life moves so quickly and spans of time pass before you know, so maintaining relationships is often left behind. It is one of those things we tell ourselves we will get to later. We usually don’t get to those kinds of things….

So, knowing myself and my need to be structured if I am to accomplish anything at all, I scheduled in a day to connect with at least two people, be they friend or family, I had not touched base with in a while. It was a good system for me. Facebook now puts me in contact with many people every day. Awesome! The need to reach out to those not on the social networking highway still exists, so I think I will leave that assignment in my weekly routine.

People matter in our lives and are worth the extra effort it takes to nourish and maintain communication. No matter how large your paycheck, it still cannot link arms with you and stand up against the harsh realities of the world, people do that. Our jobs are necessities to provide sustenance and roofs over our heads but cannot lend a shoulder to cry on when your heart is broken. Our vehicles can not hold our hands as we sit in an emergency room waiting to hear if our loved one will be okay. People matter in the times that matter most in our lives. Should we not then pay at least as much attention to them as we do our worldly material possessions and endeavors? I believe we should.

This is not to say we just throw our every thought and emotion out there for all those we know to access. No, there are those people in our inner circle to which we entrust our hopes, fears, dreams and tears. It’s called an inner circle because it is closer to your heart and those inside are there by invitation only. Blessed and fortunate is the man or woman that can count on even one finger someone with which they share their inner circle. Sadly, some never have that treasured relationship. So, protect our inner circle, we shall.

There are still many contributions made into our lives which both enrich and expand our worlds, making life more colorful and meaningful. Friends and family are the contributors and these are the folks I’m writing about today. Just as many pieces of colorful fabric comprise a patchwork quilt; our friends add beauty to our lives. Any blanket can keep you warm but isn’t it nice to see the patterns and colors come together to make a patchwork quilt beautiful? Reach out and contact an old friend today. It will make the day for both of you.

No comments: