Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Take Another Look


Matt 25:35-36 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.

We’ve all heard and read this scripture. At first read, it seems to be talking about addressing the physical needs of people. Reading it today, I saw an expanded version of it. I do not believe in adding to or taking away from the Word of God, yet this morning it read a little differently. Jesus spoke in parables, using verbiage common to those in the day and time. Maybe, what I saw was God expanding my understanding beyond the obvious. Bear with me as I share what was revealed to me.

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat For I was hungry for something real and relevant to nurture my soul and You gave me the Word of God to feed me truth and salvation.

I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink For I was thirsty from living in the barren desert of this worldly life and You gave me the overflowing cup of Living Waters to satisfy my thirst and I will never thirst again.

I was a stranger and you invited me in – For I was a stranger, alone and lonely, as I walked through my life and You invited me and made me the adopted child of the Living God.

I needed clothes and you clothed me – I needed clothes that were not the filthy rags of sin I had worn so long and You washed me white as snow and clothed me in a robe of Your righteousness.

I was sick and you looked after me – I was sick and defeated by the evils of this world, man’s striving for power, position and possessions and You looked after me and my eternal soul with Your mercy, grace and love.

I was in prison and you came to visit me.  – I was imprisoned by sin, depravations and strongholds holding my mind and spirit captive and You came to visit me to set me free from the law, my sin and condemnation.

Jesus was talking in these scriptures. Everywhere we look there are people in need physically and spiritually. Jesus cares about the person as a whole. Their spiritual needs take care of them for eternity; physical needs, while important, are temporary. If we are to strive to be more Christ-like, we, too, need to care about both and seek to help where and how we can. There is no greater love or help than sharing the gospel and love story of Jesus Christ with those in need.

Matt 25:40 The King will reply, `I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

John 13:34-35 A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

No comments: