Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Five Minutes

This morning I woke up earlier than I wanted to, even by my ‘normal’ early rising standard. I looked at the clock, groaned and rolled over as I asked God for more time to sleep. Okay, okay – it was more like “Come on, God, P-L-E-A-S-E let me go back to sleep!” I could almost hear Him chuckle. I have no need to ever set my alarm because I always wake up long before it is set to go off. Kind of annoying sometimes, I must say. More time to sleep was not forthcoming. *sigh*

I stretched each limb one at a time, yawned several times, pulled the covers back up and snuggled into the ‘warm spot’ created during my sleep time. Prayer time is still prayer time when in a horizontal position. The warmth of my cozy bed was a great spot to contemplate the warmth of connection with the Lord I felt yesterday during my prayer time. I want that feeling all the time! After my prayers, I told God I just wanted five more minutes in bed and then I would get up and get to work. (Yes, I talk to God like that, really.) I was reminded in the ‘holy tap’ way of the Steven Curtis Chapman song “The Next Five Minutes”. Thought I’d share.   
I can reminisce about the ‘already’
I can worry and fret about the ‘not yet’
But when it all comes down, and
It really, really comes down to the right now,
So right now:

I'm living the next five minutes
Like these are my last five minutes
Cause I know the next five minutes
May be all I have
And after the next five minutes
Turn into the last five minutes
I'm taking the next five minutes
And start it all over again

Every morning God is given is precious
Every heartbeat, every breath I take
I'll never have them back once they've left us
There will never be another right now,
So right now
This is the day
This is the hour
This is the moment God has made
(chorus)
Now who could lie in bed, no matter how warm & cozy, with that running in your head? Not me. I hopped up to enjoy the hour, day and moment God has made with a desire to live each five minutes to the fullest. There was a time not so long ago I had to remind myself to breathe every five minutes, God carried me through it. Five minutes with God is better than anything this earth has to offer. THAT, Friends, is why I start my day talking to Him.

No comments: