Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, December 12, 2011

Prayer

Today as I attempted to do my morning reading and study before working on the blog, I realized I had to just stop everything and pray. My heart was troubled and saddened and I knew I had to take it to the Lord before He would be able to use me this morning.

I don’t know about you but all too often I sit down with my list of prayer request and concerns and methodically go down the list to make sure I don’t forget anything or anyone. My heart is in the right place but I feel sometimes that I’ve checked off prayer needs like a grocery list. It feels utilitarian and maybe even a little detached. Not every time, of course, but too often.

Then there are the times we automatically say, “I’ll pray for you.” We mean it when we say it but has it become like the generic “How are you?” we ask total strangers out in public when passing? We don’t really expect them to stop and discuss how they are or what is going on in their world and would even be irritated if they did but we throw it out there without any sincerity or concern really attached anyway. Has our “I’ll pray for you” gotten as cavalier and casual? And do we combat the lax attitude by throwing out a brief and compulsory prayer to make ourselves feel better because we can actually say we did pray? Maybe I’m the only one that has ever done this and I’m writing this post just for me. I’m not accusing, just asking. These are things I think about.

I’m not one of those that think my prayers have to be loud to get God’s attention. Nor am I one that believes the longer the prayer the better. In fact, my most sincere and impassioned prayer was two words, “Jesus, help!” There is a difference between heartfelt prayers and duty driven prayers and we all know it. A quick little prayer of thanks over a meal sounds weak and diluted when people are more concerned about stuffing their face than they are about really expressing thanks for their provisions. We’ve all heard those prayers that come out like rapid fire as forks are being lifted, no sincerity to be found.

I pray a lot and I want my prayers to be effective and sincere. I want my heart to cry out for the petitions I take to the Lord. I can’t say they always do. I can’t say my heart and mind and spirit line up every time I pray. I can’t say I’ve prayed every time I’ve said I would. What I want to do and what I’ve actually done are two different things sometimes. Frankly, I’m not happy about that at all. I am ashamed of the pitiful excuses I’ve called prayers. People ask for prayer out of need and deserve the best petition, not the least effort to get by. Those ‘people’ include me. It’s not about me or my effort that makes a difference anyway, it is about the Lord. Is it honoring the Lord to go to Him in prayer with a measly, half-hearted prayer? He knows the need before we ask it anyway and then we show up with a prayer like a coloring book drawing; the outline is there but nothing of substance.

I don’t know. My prayer for each of us is that we ask the Lord to help us grow in our faith and increase in our loving of others when we pray.

No comments: