Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Power Source

2 Cor 12:9: But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.

Have you ever walked into your kitchen after the electricity has been down due to a storm or power glitch only to find all the clocks and timers on the appliances are blinking? There is a rhythmic pulsation of flashing zeros around the room. To me it looks like little electronic S-O-S signals…a cry for help to be restored to a normal state of functioning.

Leaving an interior light on in your car can only last for so long without draining the battery. The next day you find there isn’t enough power left to start the car without recharging the tired worn-out battery. We are like that when we try to go about life neglecting God as we go. When we try to function in our own strength we have power surges, too. We may buzz along fine for a while but eventually we crash and burn. The reservoir of human energy is limited, and like the good over achievers we think we are, we push our bodies and minds to the limit.

Draining our mental and physical selves takes a toll on our spiritual health when we are not plugged in to our Power Source. We find our ability to function as God intended is directly proportionate to the amount of time we plug in to Him. We can get away with it for a while, like a computer with a battery back-up, but that, too, is limited and needs to be recharged and plugged in.

I am painfully aware of my energy level be it physical, spiritual or mental. I get frustrated more quickly and cranky when I am trying to maintain on low energy. Who among us has not been less Christ-like when we’ve been absent from seeking the power of Christ? After a while I have no choice but to shut down and recharge. My daily morning dose of the Word makes a huge difference in my day. Plug in!

May the power of Christ fill you, restore you and energize you in every area of your life.    

No comments: