Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Addicted to Love

1 John 3:1 See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.

I’ve spent the last hour reading and studying, asking God for the ‘holy tap’ he gives me in knowing what to write on each morning. So far, no tap. This saddened me for a couple of reasons. I love the ‘holy tap’ because it reinforces I write this devotional on His direction. It is His words, not mine and that’s a lot of pressure off of me; knowing I had to come up with something new or encouraging or inspirational five mornings out of the week would be rather intimidating! Waiting for His direction, however, while reading scripture or other Christian writers fills my heart and mind with His Word first thing in the wee hours. He refuels me as I wait and I need all the refueling I can get.

Secondly, not getting the ‘holy tap on the shoulder’…..well, I simply miss it. I’ve come to rely on Him and the familiarity of His tap. You know how it feels when you go into a large crowd and you’re looking around not recognizing anyone, then across the room you see a dear friend and the sight of their face fills you joy? That’s how the holy tap feels to me. It is my comfort each morning.

I know He is still there, whether the tap comes or not. His love is not a faucet to turn on or off, it is free flowing and never-ending. I treasure it and count on it because His Word says I can. The tap is a gift of love I’ve come to crave. I am addicted, addicted to His sweet and tender love. So this morning all I can send out is my heartfelt desire for more of Him, more of His touch, more of His mercies and love.   

May the Lord touch you and fill you with His presence each morning!   

No comments: