Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, October 10, 2011

One Day at a Time

Matthew 6:34 Therefore do not be anxious for tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

“When I first gave my life to the Lord, like many of us, I had no idea what I was getting myself into. If God would have shown me, at that time, all the things that would have to change about me, I think I would have gone running for dear life!”

Those words above came from a reading I did this morning and I could identify with them! I knew my life was totally messed up and I did not have the first clue how to go about fixing it. I learned the meaning of ‘totally surrendering’ my life in those times, and I have never been more grateful.  

The time of surrender and, due to my hardheadedness, re-surrender and more re-surrender was tough and (again due to my hardheadedness) long. I have always been one that makes things happen, that had to go. I need some sense of order, a plan, to follow, a goal…that, too, had to go. Areas of my life were set apart as ‘exceptions’…that had to go as well. The surrender had to be complete, not piece meal. You can’t surrender part of your life, holding back bits you want to hang on to for yourself, and really call yourself surrendered. In war, as in real life, the one surrendering has to raise their hands in submission, letting personal control go. That’s far easier said than done. Give up control? Please! Yet, it is exactly what I had to do. If you would have shown me this picture back in the days of my rebellion, I think I would have laughed my head off in unbelief!

God is a gentleman and doesn’t show us all at once the extent of that which we must change. It would frighten and overwhelm us. He doesn't show us more than He feels we need to know. He knows that we are weak and He's merciful enough not to give us more than we can handle. What He desires is for us to lay our worries upon Him and trust Him for our future.

God has not given us power to overcome all the problems we have yet to face. He has given us only the power to overcome what faces us today! Just as the children of Israel could collect only enough manna for one day, the power God gives us to face our trials — it only comes one day at a time.

God has so many wonderful adventures ahead for us who love Him and are called according to His purpose — and He will surely give us the strength to endure the trials we'll face with each adventure. Let's trust Him only for today's trials — and let Him worry about the rest!

May you lay aside your fear and anxieties for tomorrow in complete confidence the Lord has it all in His hands.

No comments: