Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, August 26, 2011

Earthquake

2 Timothy 1:7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

Our national Capitol experienced a thundering earthquake. It came as a surprise out of nowhere. I don't know if any of you have ever experienced an earthquake, but they are very scary. I personally have not, yet I thought about them often when some of our kids and G-kids were living in San Diego.

Out of nowhere came a sudden loud roaring sound, followed by a shaking of all four walls, and all the contents within banging against them for what seemed like an eternity. These are things being said by those that did experience it event. We are blessed that little damage was done compared to the potential for damage and death. This earthquake caught so many off-guard because that area has no record of earthquake activity to speak of and, let’s face it, it was in the bosom of America’s governing seat. It revealed a weak spot in our land we had not even considered possible. Yep, America has clay feet. The pedestal we’ve lived upon for so long has swayed with impending doom and cracked under the strain.

There is Biblical commentary to address such but I want to focus on a more personal level; how, we as individual Believers, deal with the earthquakes of our lives.

While not an earthquake on the Richter Scale, I had a near death experience when I was brought down by an anaphylactic shock incident on a mission trip. I had a severe allergic reaction to an unknown food item. My body was going through a violent reaction, definitely of earthquake proportions, and my organs were shutting down. The ER doctor said I would not have made it if it had taken even 5 minutes longer to get me to the hospital. I was fully aware I might not live through the ordeal. So many things go through your mind when you're in the midst of a life-threatening experience. Mostly thoughts of the ones you love. That and where you stand with the Lord.

Rather like watching the scene as an observer, I had a conversation with the Lord while my body dealt with the assault. I told Him I was okay with it if this was the day He chose to take me home…and I was. I did ask Him to hold off just a bit if He would because my husband would have a huge ordeal on his hands to get my body and the team out of the country alone. The thing I remember the most, aside from the insidious things my body was going through, was the peace I felt inside. I knew my position in Christ and took comfort in Him.

Even in the midst of craziness, chaos, distress, crises beyond our control, we as believers must rest, trusting that we're safe in the loving arms of the Father. The world around us may be going to pieces but when you know, truly KNOW, you are held in His arms, there is peace beyond our comprehension.

Is your world being shaken right now? Know that God is holding you today. No matter what you're facing, you can trust Him fully to cover you and protect you. Relax in His sheltering arms.

No comments: