Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Opportunity Lost

God is faithful to look after the smallest detail and our every need. He always takes cares of His part…the disconnect comes when we do not follow through on ours. What’s God to do when He opens doors of opportunity and we do not walk through them?

Case in point – last night before going to bed, I set up my crock-pot overnight system to cook steel-cut oats. If you’ve not tried them, I highly recommend them. I love oatmeal and the steel-cut oats are just what they are called…the oak berry cut with a steel blade. Oatmeal we buy in the grocery store has been through a lot of processing, including pre-cooking, rolling, flattening….all kinds of things. Steel-cut oaks are the basic oat berry, chopped up with steel blades…period. They have a different texture and all the nutritional goodness God intended oaks to have. We love them and looked forward to having a warm pot waiting for us when we got up this morning.

After I had been asleep about 15-20 minutes, I sat straight up from a dead sleep with the panicked thought, “I didn’t turn the crock-pot on!” I jumped out of bed and padded barefooted across the cold floor to the kitchen and felt the side of the crock-pot to find, yes indeed, it was cold. I turned the knob to high and padded back to bed thanking the Lord for waking me so we would have a delightful, hot bowl of oats to ward off the cold morning. I was still expressing my gratitude when I fell asleep again, I guess, because that is the last thought I remember.

This morning I woke to the aroma of fresh coffee, thanks to the automatic timer thingie on the coffee pot. Pulling on my robe, I noticed I did not smell the oats…hmmm. I’m awake now. In the kitchen I poured my coffee and went to stir the oats. All is not well. The crock-pot is cold, the oats are not steamy and creamy…my heart sinks. Whatever is the problem? In the light, which I did not turn on in the night, I noticed the crock-pot was unplugged. Aauugghh……

The Lord woke me up from a dead sleep to make sure I had not only my heart’s desire, but the healthy goodness of His provision. It was my lack of follow through, by not turning on the light to make sure I had done everything I needed to do, to insure I could benefit from it. God is always faithful to complete what He starts…we are the disconnect when we are not so diligent. Makes me shudder to think of all I probably missed out on because I didn't follow through a door God opened! Thanks for the opportunity, Lord. You opened the door.

No comments: