Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Pick Your Battles


I have an issue with violence. Can’t stand it. My first memory of thinking about not liking violence was when I was a young child. Daddy and his new bride left my little brother and me with her roommates, an old couple, while they went on their honeymoon. This, in and of itself, was traumatic enough because my brother and I did not know these people. Her kids did, we did not. My little brother cried a lot. This old couple watched wrestling and I thought it was barbaric.It made me feel uncomfortable. I wasn’t old enough to think, “Hey, this is barbaric and I’m uncomfortable!” but I did think it was horrible that people sat around watching two other people fight. My feelings for boxing are the same. Why do people do it and why do other people watch it, much less like it?

Now, we have not only wrestling and boxing but various forms of people in a cage or ring doing horrible things to one another. I know the die-hard fighting fans will call it ‘sport’…violence, by any other name, is still people being violent against other human beings. I bet those Christians thrown to the lions in the name of 'sport' didn't think it was all that entertaining.

I have a hard time reconciling being a Christian and watching/enjoying fighting of any sort. It disturbs my inner peace in a large way. I will not watch movies with violence. I recently walked out of the room where we were watching the movie “The Guardians”. Violence against animated animals or people is still violence. I just walked away. My husband enjoys what he calls “Action” movies. That’s not fooling anyone; the ‘action’ being taken is violence.

As Christians, we are to emulate Jesus. You cannot convince me that Jesus would have or could have stood around cheering on people fighting for sport. I just can’t get my head around that visual. My spirit rejects that possibility. It goes against everything I know about Jesus. 

Yes, I know God sent armies into battle to wipe out entire nations, a bloody business that was! I know we have war today. I also know Scripture says:
Ephesians 6:12-13 For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

Here’s my question to ponder: Why do we tolerate, promote, make wages, and (for some) relish people fighting one another when we have an evil, spiritual realm to battle?

Something to think about………..

No comments: