Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Situational Morality

The first time I heard the words ‘situational morality’ used together in a sentence I mentally checked out of the conversation for a moment to ponder the implications of the term. What I considered to be conflicting terms were being used as a rationale for questionable decision making on the part of the person with whom I was speaking. I was taken aback by their blatant acceptance of knowingly functioning with situational morality. It must have made an impact on me because here I am some twenty-one years later, still talking about it.


While I was a bit stunned at that moment, it did not take me long to start recognizing situational morality all around. I would love to say I never tiptoed through the tar pit of it myself, but that would not be true. What I can say with all honesty is that I have made an effort to be aware of when I was leaning toward doing just that and made the conscious choice not to do so more often than to do. Still, sometimes I fall into the tar trap.


I know there are people that happily swim in the tar pit never caring a hoot about morality, situational or not. However, I believe most Christians get tripped up over little things, but no matter how little the object you trip over, you can still find yourself face down in tar.


For instance, I know a man considered by all that know him to be a fine Christian man, a man of prayer, a man that eagerly serves the Lord; yet he has a library of bootlegged videos. In spite of the Federal Warning on each one, he has made a practice of buying these videos, knowing they are illegally copied - Situational Morality. It’s not up there with grand larceny but it is still not legal. What kind of mixed message might that send his children and grandchildren? That’s where the tar gets real sticky.


If someone lies on or ‘embellishes’ a resume, will they make a trustworthy employee? I had a woman tell me once she didn’t cheat on her husband; she just played around the edges. I have worked with men that considered themselves ‘good’ husbands and fathers but would go watch someone else’s daughter dance naked around a pole while they ate lunch; after all the place had a good buffet. Borrowing a friend’s weed-eater and returning it dirty, and then only after they ask you to, may not seem like such an offense but what does it say about the value you have shown for your friend and their property?


There are thousands of little tar traps around and we must step carefully lest we step on one. Having become aware all those years ago to watch out for situational morality in my own life, a lesson I appreciate learning, has made me think more before jumping feet first. The tricky part comes in the life of a Christian when we know to avoid the large tar pits and think we are above tripping into one but moving along in our self-elevated state, we step on a small patch of situational morality that sticks to us like tar on the bottom of a shoe. No matter how you try to slough it off, tar will stick to you.


One last point, the pungent stink of tar lingers when times are hot; just something to think about.

No comments: