Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Recipe for Success

I love learning and finding new things that make me think, take me through a new concept I had not considered or perhaps not contemplated in depth. In my reading this morning I ran across a passage about building steps to become a person of persistence in all that we hope to achieve.

The first thing that caught my eye was that we are to set goals under God’s leadership; goals that are challenging and demand our best AND require His help. That may sound like a ‘no brainer’ but DO we really purposely set goals with those requirements?

As Christians, we often set the goals we want to accomplish and then ask in prayer that God bless our efforts in obtaining those goals. I had not considered creating my goals up front with the mandate that they include God’s leadership. Maybe it’s just me but I have to say, I bet I’m not he only one putting the cart before the horse.

The second concept was to then develop a passion for the goal to drive us toward our desired outcome. Most any book you pick up on goals will tell you to determine what it is you are passionate about, make the goals; then the work toward it.

In the world, perhaps that is the key. In God’s economy, we are to go about it from this other perspective. We make a goal that requires God’s leadership and challenges us to be the best we can be. Then we strive for the passion to continue on when we run into obstacles; an attitude of persistence.

Additionally, we should refuse to listen to criticism; surrounding ourselves with people who will encourage us. Certain steps may fail, but we should look for a personal lesson in every defeat.

Finally, we are to believe that we can reach the goal, and then must rely on God to enable us. The circle is complete.

When we start out with God in the goal making decision process, relying on Him throughout the process and end believing He will enable us to reach the goal, we have come full circle. The focus is not about what we can accomplish but what God can accomplish through us.

A recipe for success if ever there was one!

No comments: