Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Trust in the Lord


It is amazing how often I find there to be a reoccurring word or ‘theme’ in my daily reading. This day, I was running into the word ‘trust’ all over the place. I have several Bibles I use for different things but the one I read in my daily study time is The Complete Jewish Bible. It puts the original Jewish-ness back into the scriptures. It uses ‘trust’ everywhere the word ‘faith’ is used in other versions. Trust is a big deal….

This season of my life finds me a little shaky in the trusting of people. I do not hesitate in trusting the Lord but I am not so inclined to be as assuming in my trusting of people. This season has opened doors I would have preferred to keep shut, closed doors I wanted open and turned everything I knew to be true upside down and spinning like a top. Trusting in the Lord was the only thing I could count on…faith = trust.

Trust in God is often expressed by our restraint. We are expected to recognize that God is present, aware and lovingly involved in every difficult situation we face. It is required that Christians curb many of their “natural” responses, and learn to patiently, and often quietly, wait for God’s resolution. Of course there are times he calls us to stand up, speak out or fight, but more times than we’d prefer, God demands that we slow down, keep quiet, and wait for his intervention. We need to remember that in most cases “the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God” (James 1:20). So the more you consider the character of God and his omnipresent concern for his kids, the more you will be able to sincerely say with the psalmist, “I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord” and you will gladly heed the call to “wait for the Lord; be strong, and let your heart take courage; wait for the Lord” (Psalms 27:13-14).

‘Waiting’ is not something that comes so naturally to me, either, these days. My spinning world left me dizzy and confused. It’s hard to wait for normalcy when your world is spinning. I am more comfortable when I can make something happen, take charge of things and put my world in order. HA!!!!!! Not a chance. When it comes to living after Christ, we must learn to wait for His divine intervention. One thing I discovered about myself through this season is that I pacify myself during the waiting time by painting! Yep, I distract myself and sooth the beast within by painting something. Don’t stand still in my house too long or I will paint you!

The good news is when we truly trust, have faith in, the Lord, He will put things in order for us as He would have them to be. It may not line up with our game plan…BUT, it is His will for us and TRUST ME, that’s the best, as good as it gets.

No comments: