Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, June 18, 2012

Freedom to Grow Where We are Planted


MATT. 30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to-day is, and to-morrow is cast into the oven, shall He not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

PS 8 I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever--

The greatest freedom I have known in my life came from complete surrender to Jesus. Freedom and surrender are not often thought of as compatible states but when it comes to a surrendered life to Christ, freedom is the end result.

Looking back at my life, I count four significant life altering moments in time where I was overcome with a sense of freedom. By far, the most satisfying and nurturing was the moment I surrendered to Jesus. I was freed of burdens I didn’t even know I was carrying around. I was freed from condemnation that had been a life-long companion. I was freed from thinking I had to keep the weight of the world on my shoulders. I was freed from my personal sin. I was truly alive for the first time. I believe that is, in part, where the ‘born again’ comes from. When we come alive in Christ, we are alive in its deepest and fullest meaning for the first time. Babes in His arms.

This short paragraph below by HENRY D. THOREAU is a beautiful piece of prose that means a lot to me. Although it does not say so, I see the flower as a child of God, standing in the sunlight, looking only to the Creator, neither borrowing worry nor fear.

I saw a delicate flower had grown up two feet high, between the horses' path and the wheel-track. An inch more to the right or left had sealed its fate, or an inch higher; and yet it lived to flourish as much as if it had a thousand acres of untrodden space around it, and never knew the danger it incurred. It did not borrow trouble, nor invite an evil fate by apprehending it..

When we surrender, we are given that same freedom from concerns coming at us from the right or the left. We can stand our ground with our roots planted deeply in the Lord and simply do what He gives us to do.

No comments: