Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

THE MAN ON THE ROOF


A man was trapped on his rooftop by the rising waters of a flood. A fellow came over in a rowboat and called to the man, “Hop into my boat! I’ll save you!” The stranded man refused, saying, “No – God will save me!”

The water rose to the man’s knees, and along came a rescuer in a motorboat. “Get in my boat! I’ll save you!” cried the boater. “No!” the man on the roof replied. “God will save me!”

Soon after, the water was up to the man’s chest. A helicopter with a sling suspended from it came next. “Grab onto the sling!” called the pilot. “I’ll pull you up and save you!” As the man called, “No, God will save me!” a wave swept him off the roof and he drowned.

As he entered into heaven, God greeted him, saying, “Welcome to heaven! Glad to see you! Before I show you around and introduce you to some of the angels, do you have any questions?”

“Well, yes Sir, as a matter of fact I do have one question.” the man replied. “There I was stranded on my roof, with flood waters rising all around me! Why didn’t you save me?”

“Well!” replied God. “I sent you two boats and a helicopter! What more did you want?”

This is not original. I tell it to demonstrate that God’s answer to our prayers might not be in the form we expect. If we pray for health, perhaps we should eat right and exercise. If we pray for riches, perhaps we should endeavor to get an education or a better job. And if we pray for happiness, perhaps we should try to make others happy.

Are you standing on the roof with your list of “acceptable forms” of God’s help? God neither thinks nor acts as we do and you may find you’ve let the boats and helicopter go by as you wave your ‘list’. Don’t be the Man on the Roof; be open to His ways…they are much higher and better than our own.

No comments: