Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

You Are Special


Psalm 139:13-16 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.

I was reading this morning and ran across something that caused me to stop and ponder. It was a devotional on discovering your unique connection to God. We all have our own way of connecting that is personal and unique. For me, praise and worship ushers me right to His feet. Prayer is another personal route. We do not all pray alike; and that’s okay. As long as we are finding the best connection for us, we’re set. It is the connection with God that counts, not how you get there.

The author wrote that we each relate to God (and others) based on several factors but the point that made me stop and ponder was how our personalities factor in. In the paragraph below I have copied that section. Each personality style correlates to a biblical character.

Understand your personality traits. Since each part of your personality affects how you relate to God, it’s important to figure out what types of spiritual practices will energize you and draw you closer to God the most. Consider which of the following personality styles (named after biblical characters that had those styles) best reflects your own:
“Joseph” - morally principled and disciplined; strong on integrity but needs to watch out for anger 
“Abraham” - caring, generous and encouraging; strong on compassion but needs to watch out for pride    
“Jacob” - ambitious and industrious; strong on confidence but needs to watch out for a tendency to distort the truth to make yourself look better    
“David” - creative and expressive; strong on passion but needs to watch out for envy    
“Luke” - quiet and studious; strong on gathering knowledge but needs to watch out for pride    
“Timothy” - enthusiastic and loyal; strong on working for a cause but needs to watch out for anxiety
“Solomon” - optimistic and playful; strong on joy and gratitude, but needs to watch out for greed
“Samson” - decisive and resourceful; strong on leadership but needs to watch out for a tendency to be tempted by unhealthy desires
“Jonathan” - diplomatic and supportive of others; strong on friendship but needs to watch out for a tendency to become passive when you should take action in difficult situations

I saw bits of me in several of those examples!! And that, Friends, is what makes me unique in His sight! You are, too!

No comments: