Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Riptides of Life

Ephesians 6:12 (KJV) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Romans 8:37 (KJV) Yet in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us.

If we are alive and breathing, then we are probably facing a struggle. Life in a sin-plagued world is not always a walk in the park. At times, it can seem as though we move from one problem to another. Other times it feels like problems dog-pile on top of us, leaving little breathing room. Often we cause our own troubles. Some of life’s challenges are circumstantial; others are direct attacks from the enemies of God who hate us because we are His children. We encounter criticism, obstacles, and challenges throughout our earthly journey. I went to bed last night, plagued by many problems; I was worn out mentally and emotionally drained.

Yesterday had been a day where all those spiritual enemies listed in the verse above came rushing at me like tsunami. They continued to storm my refuge well into the night. This was all topped off by my computer going blank, a dark screen, no vision, and no light. Staring at the dark screen felt like a material representation of things happening in my life at the moment. I did all those things we do when facing a problem; I stormed around, shared my misery with those who would listen, prayed, begged the Lord for mercy, cried, stormed around some more and wallowed in my tribulations. I felt horrible and oppressed.

When I feel like I’m drowning in troubles and despair, the only thing that keeps me holding on is KNOWING God is not going to let go of me in the riptide of trouble and injustices. I have to rely on what I know rather than what I feel because my human feelings are all over the place and, like I said, I felt horrible and oppressed. Knowing God is there becomes my life preserver. I picture in my mind’s eye an image of His hand holding my head above the surface of the dark waters of tribulation.

Jesus told us in John 16:33, “In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world” He is in control of the entire universe and He is prepared to defend us against the challenges we confront. He walks on the waters of the tsunamis!

I’d like to tell you that I have so much spiritual maturity that I just sail on through the troubled waters, singing as I go. But I can’t because that would be false. Some troubles rock my boat more than others. All the 'predator troubles' were circling yesterday, drawn in by the blood of a broken heart for the frenzy feeding. Jesus would be sleeping in the back of the boat…I want to be more like Him and less like Peter flailing about as he sunk into the murky waters. I was more like Peter, sad to say. The good news is that God didn’t leave me to be consumed by the predator troubles, understands my times of weakness in spirit, and forgives me in spite of myself.

This morning I woke as usual and stumbled into my office to make the coffee. I laid my hand on my closed computer ~in faith~ and thanked the Lord for its miracle healing and restoration. As the coffeemaker filled the air with the aroma of the nectar of the gods, I rubbed my eyes and open the laptop. I pushed the power button and sat back in my chair. I was amazed as I saw it flicker with little lights dancing on the screen before it popped out in full computer color! I was doing the “Thank you, Jesus!” happy dance before coffee this morning!! I don’t know how God fixes computers but He does! I don’t know how God is going to ‘fix’ my other predator troubles but I know He will. Nothing like a good miracle from the King of Kings first thing in the morning to start your day off right! I, once again, am so very thankful His mercies are fresh every morning. I’m pretty sure I used more than my fair share yesterday.

This morning I feel stronger, like I can swim again. I take with me that image of His hand holding my head above water because I know I will flail about once more. My strength is temporary. His strength, however, is eternal.

May God make you strong and bold, may you not be afraid of the unknown, nor of risks, nor of your enemies - nor the enemies of God, for Adonai your God goes with you. He will neither fail you nor abandon you (Deut. 31:6, CJB).
   

No comments: