Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, May 2, 2011

A Rose by any Other name...


The times they are a changin’! I was writing Sunday morning on a new storyline and wanted to research a name for a new character. Choosing character names is important. I went online to one of those baby name sites; they give you many to choose from plus the definition and origin of most names. I don’t frequent these sites, for all the obvious reasons, but have utilized them when naming characters over the years. I have to say, though it has not been a long time since my last visit, the names have changed a great deal. No longer will you find the usual suspects but a vast array of international and cultural name to boot.

To name a few, I found names with origins in Arabic, Sanskrit, Hindu, Persian, Egyptian, and Muslim among the usual English, French, American Indian, Hebrew and Spanish…and this was all on the first page of names starting with an ‘S’. This was new to me. At first glance I was almost shocked. Perhaps it was the vast amount of names I struggled to pronounce or just the amazing change from my last visit, I don’t know, but I have to admit it caught me off guard.

Then there it was, the ‘holy tap’ with a simple question. “Why are you amazed when you know God has a global vision?” Yep, good question. Thanks for the reminder, Lord.

I have written and taught about expanding our vision to a global perspective to see other cultures and people groups as God sees them. They are all His creation, too, and Scripture says we are to spread the gospel of Jesus to every creature and nation (whether we can pronounce their names or not). 

Once the initial shock wore off I was proud to see the names mingled and listed as a symbol of progress in bringing all the people of the world together with equal status, as we are in God’s eyes, even if it was just on a list of baby names. It’s a start and every journey begins with the first step.

There was a time when baby names were chosen for their meaning, not just because someone liked the sound of it or because it was popular or the name of a movie star or cartoon character. Names had significance.  I don’t know why the Lord chose this lesson at this time but He has His reasons. Maybe, just maybe, He was making a point to me about the significance of all his people together.

Isn’t just like God to use the foolish things of this world, like naming a fictitious character, to bring a point before our eyes?    

No comments: