Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Humpty Dumpty Sat on the Wall

I love omelets. I looked forward to making an omelet for breakfast this morning. Anticipation teased my taste buds since yesterday afternoon. I started by sautéing the diced onions, added chopped ham and large diced mushroom (One does want to actually taste and feel the mushroom after all). I whipped the eggs till frothy, pouring them gently over the veggie mixture and sprinkled on chopped Italian parsley. When set to my preference, I folded it and transferred it to a plate…drooling all the while.

The first bite I knew it was okay…just okay. My anticipation and expectation for the omelet set my mouth up for a letdown. All the ingredients were fresh and of good quality. The execution of preparation was flawless. By all rights, it should have been delightful. It was good, middle of the road good. Not outstanding. The purpose of the meal was to nourish and fuel my body. It did that very well. It wasn’t heavily laden with fat or artery clogging cheese. The bulk of the omelet was healthy veggies. It was good healthy food that served its purpose. Why did I feel so let down? I did it to myself.

Admittedly, I am something of a food snob. It seems I am creating a food snob out of my husband, too. He’s become quite the food critic lately. Here’s what I think we’re doing…we have raised the bar of expectation so high, less and less can jump over it. It’s a mentality fostered and fed by elevated expectation. Normal, everyday food gets labeled as ‘less than’. How sad is that? I enjoyed the making of the omelet and received great satisfaction from the process, still…I wanted more. Heavy burden for a simple omelet.

In life, even with our spiritual encounters, we are guilty of doing the same thing. We want everything to be ‘an experience’, something that really moves us. We miss the joy of simple everyday things while we wait to be impressed by something that may not come along.

God rarely speaks in a rolling thunder. He says to be still and know that He is God. Sitting quietly with God nourishes our spirits and satisfies like nothing else. There’s a lesson there.

No comments: