Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

All You Need is Love

1 Corinthians 13:1-3

If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

Ah, sweet season of love! Valentine’s Day is among us. This is the busiest season of the year for florist and rose vendors. Once upon a time, I had a job where I was the only woman in the local area for the company. I had a couple of side jobs, too; one was making & selling silk flower arrangements. I would take orders from the guys at work…usually based on how much money they wanted to spend on a V-Day gift for their wives. I also made up several extras…I KNEW my guys at work. Indeed, on V-Day many would come screeching into the parking lot after hours and run to my office hoping I had something left. I was more convenient than going shopping…I had better prices, too. Know your market…

It never failed to amaze me that these guys always put off doing a small token ‘something’ for their beloved. It wasn’t like they weren’t inundated with commercials on TV. They saw the arrangements I was allowed to display at work for weeks in advance, yet running in at the last possible moment they came, some with looks of desperation, some irritation and all with frustration. My sympathies went out to the wives at home; most of the arrangements were purchased to keep the guys out of trouble, not so much as a show of affection. Questionable motives at best! Showing love through gestures of giving was almost a foreign concept for some of the guys.

Scripture tells us we are to lead a lifestyle of giving love. Giving love is not the same thing as giving gifts. Some people give gifts easily, it’s the freely given love they struggle to share. For me, gifts are nice but I’d rather have day-to-day expressions and acts of love than a holiday gift. For others, it’s the receiving of the gift that makes them feel the love. I have a friend that makes no bones about that being her love language. It’s not the ‘thing’ she gets, it’s the knowing her man took the time to think about her, consider what would delight her, seek out the special something…that’s the whole love message to her, not the actual gift.

Regardless of where you stand on giving and receiving of gifts, love is by far the greatest. It’s a universal gift, not reserved for romantic holidays. It’s a gift to your neighbor when they need help. It’s a hug for your mom ‘just because’, it’s spending and giving of yourself to someone in a way that’s important to them even if it’s not your thing…it’s a God’s thing.

May your heart be filled with love from others as you pour it out to all around you! Happy Valentine's Day from Truth in the Morning and Truth in Love World Ministries. 

M'Lynn

No comments: