Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Coming Home

This past Sunday, I journeyed to the Austin area and visited the church I called ‘home’ before Papa John and I married and my life began in the San Antonio area. It was delightful to see the people I’ve known and loved for many years. It was amazing how many faces were new and unfamiliar to me as well. The church building had been enlarged and was very beautiful. While that was lovely to see, it was the hearts of my old friends that said ‘church’ to me. Some of those people have been around since the infancy of my spirit-filled days.

I also had the opportunity to spend quality time in the home of other friends, curl up on the bed and visit with my little sister (Papa John’s sister), have meaningful time and conversation with a daughter, and share my life’s news over lunch with a dear friend on Monday before heading home. The Austin area was my home for a long time. I’ve had many good times and some not so wonderful times there.  It’s changed and grown so much I easily get turned around trying to maneuver my way through town. It no longer feels like my emotional ‘home’ and hasn’t for some time. I told my friend, Ed, at lunch that I preferred life in our little five light town. It’s the hearts of the people with which I share life and cared about that say ‘home’ to me, not location.

The long drive back gave me plenty of time to process my short visit. The quiet of my car has always been a refuge for thinking, praying, and reflecting. As I said good-bye to each old friend respectively, they hurried back to their normal lives. My visit, albeit pleasant, was just a quick blip on their radar. I enjoyed the short time there and the smiles and hugs from people I love. I was blessed by the service and teaching in my former church. I was thankful for the short time I had with each friend, to look into their eyes however briefly and see the face of ‘home.’ I was equally pleased to drive back into our little five light town and have comfort settle over me that comes from the sense of being in your place, where ever it is. Back at the hacienda with my Honey and hounds, my mind, body and spirit relaxed and snuggled in to the familiar as home reached up to greet me.

Home really is where your heart is. It’s in the faces of all those that passed through your life and left their footprints on your heart. It’s in the comfort of your own bed. It’s feeling like you belong right where you are with the people that pass through your life on a daily basis. It’s in the palm of God’s hand. Home is love and Jesus said the greatest of all is love. Now that’s what makes ‘coming home’ all worthwhile.

No comments: