Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Rx for Daily Life

I look into the mirror each morning and run my fingers through my tussled hair. The eyes looking back at me are puffy and vacillate between watery/itchy and dry/itchy. My nose hurts all the time. It is in a constant state of itchy and painful. My head throbs from one side of my face to the other. My ears hurt to a point of distraction. Certain I had an ear infection before, I’ve made the trek to the doctor only to be told, no ear infection, it’s the tubes in front of my ears that are plugged causing the pain.

I am an allergy sufferer. I walk around with a roll of tissue in my hand most of the time. I am like millions of others prone to allergies. The trees and beautiful flora I love so much do not treat me kindly. I am allergic to them. If it grows in Texas, chances are, I’m allergic to it. At least that is what the allergy test says and I have the long, painful history of sneezes and sinus headaches to prove it.

Fall is my favorite time of the year. I love the colors, the pleasant days when it ceases to be too hot and, throwing caution to the wind, I open up my house and let the fall breezes…and all the little fall allergens blow right on in. “They”, the all knowing albeit unknown experts, say you should keep your windows closed if you suffer with allergies. Mine are not seasonal, they live here all year long, so I cannot accept their conventional wisdom or I would never have any pleasure from the great outdoors.

As I sneezed my way through cooking breakfast earlier, it occurred to me that we are lucky God doesn’t make our personal sins as obvious as allergy symptoms. Can you imagine how we would look if our ungodly thoughts gave off a red vapor out the top of our heads? What if our eyes shed tears of blood if we looked at that which is unpleasing to God? Imagine what our hands could look like if stained with a dye (like that used on stolen money from a bank) every time we touched something forbidden and sinful. What if our noses grew, like Pinocchio’s, when we were not exactly telling the whole truth? Wouldn’t be so easy to hide all our dirty little secrets, would it?

This begs the question…Since God knows all things before we ever do or think them, have we admitted to ourselves it is other PEOPLE from which we are hiding them? AND, Are we putting their opinions of us before God - because we haven’t stopped the bad behavior to please God, just work to hide it from people? Is it okay to rationalize our behavior because God will love us and accept us anyway but other people will judge us so we must, MUST hide our little secrets so they will think better of us? Are we taking God for granted if we assume He overlooks those sins even if true repentance has not yet changed our hearts and actions? Do we act as if God can’t see through our Hide & Seek game? I’m just asking…

Most people can take an allergy pill of some sort to relieve the symptoms. Due to a funky heartbeat, I can’t. Thus, my apparent year round love affair with tissue. Sin symptoms can’t be relieved with a pill either. There is, however, a prescription for them:

Pray without ceasing every day. Swallow pride with large glass of contriteness to cleanse the heart. Increase transparency of daily thoughts, words, and deeds to shrink appetite for the ungodly. Exercise wisdom. Avoid contact with contagious sin. Call the Great Physician in the morning, every morning.

No comments: