Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Mustard Seed


I wanted a simple omelet this morning, so I sautéed a little chopped onion in olive oil. Beating 2 eggs, I added a little spicy mustard to them and poured it over the onion. No muss, no fuss omelet. Delightful. I pretty sure, you do not care what I have for breakfast but I shared because the mustard led my mind to the scripture in Mathew 13:30-32 about faith.

The Mustard Seed
 He presented another parable to them, saying, "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and sowed in his field; and this is smaller than all other seeds, but when it is full grown, it is larger than the garden plants and becomes a tree, so that THE BIRDS OF THE AIR come and NEST IN ITS BRANCHES."

Matthew 17:20
And He said to them, "Because of the littleness of your faith; for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you.

Mathew, Mark, and Luke all record the message Jesus shared in His teaching. Standing before my omelet, I reached into the spice drawer and pulled out a jar of mustard seed. I don't remember why I have a jar of mustard seed but I do…..hey, I just remembered. Thank you, Lord, for the prompting.

Eight years ago, I started a women's Bible study in our neighborhood. I did a teaching on faith and bought the mustard seed so I could give one to each of the women. I later passed them out to a mission training class. I think I'll use them with my kids at church. Today, I'm sending YOU a mustard seed. It is only this big ( * ). I held the jar up to the computer screen to compare.

We all have issues and situations in our lives that feel very large in our hearts and minds, heavy burdens we carry. We can feel small and weak looking at them looming large over us. It was Jesus, our JESUS, that said, "… for truly I say to you, if you have faith the size of a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible to you." Our comfort comes in knowing He carries the load for us, we are not required to be bear that burden alone. No matter how insignificant we may feel now staring at our situation, we only need faith the size of a mustard seed "…and nothing will be impossible to you."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I sent extras…share with others!

No comments: