Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, September 27, 2010

Well Worth the Wait


I need to set the record straight before getting into the blog post this morning. You see, I feel I had turned my back on waiting for God to give me something to write about and started just writing something because 'it worked.' I was asking God this morning why I hadn't heard from Him lately on blog subjects. In my spirit, I heard I hadn't waited to hear, so there was no need to give me anything….and He was right. I was eager to share what I got from studying; God didn't tell me to work on that. I just moved forward in it. That is not what He has charged me to do. He still 'talked' to me about other things because I had not jumped ahead and did what I thought I should do. In that light, let me say I have missed the 'holy taps on the shoulder' a great deal. There's a lesson in that, Folks. When we clog our minds with our own agendas, we are closing the door and our spiritual ears to hearing from God. I do not think God micro-manages our thought life but He should be the voice we listen for daily, not a guest speaker. That being said…

As a child, I was moved around rather than planted some place in which to grow roots. As an adult, I still moved around, taking my children with me. I put them in the same boat. I had a heart's desire to give them the sense of roots I always longed to have, yet, did not see that come to fruition. My 'gypsy' mentality was always looking for something, anything to give that to me. Now, after living in this house for almost nine years, a record time living in one place, I found myself thinking about moving. I have been asking myself why. Here are a few things I see as logical reasons…

1. I need to get away from the Texas heat. Having suffered two experiences with heat exhaustion, I cannot handle the heat anymore at all. Forced to spend most of the summer indoors, I feel like a captive. I love to garden but it has to happen in the very early morning hours ...aka…my writing time, before the sun gets serious.

2. I want to downsize our carbon footprint on the earth. Sounds very eco-friendly and tree hugger-like, but it all makes sense to me. I have spent a lifetime drawing various house plans that I wanted to have and now they no longer appeal to me. I am now drawn to small & cozy as my 'dream house'.

3. The gypsy in me wants to experience something new and different. I've never felt compelled to move back to any place I've lived before. I have a 'been there-done that' mentality that does not need to 'go home again', if you will. I'd rather expand my horizons than relive them. I'll just visit, thank you.

The other day I realized I was at peace with the idea of leaving our beloved hilltop hacienda. This surprised me a little since it is the closest I've come to ever having those roots I've longed for. I asked God to help me understand. His answer was simple and forthcoming. He said I had found my roots in Him, not in location, not in a house. I was content with meeting our needs rather than our wants because I had surrendered my life to Him and the external issues of 'want' no longer mattered. Made me cry tears of joy! A peace washed over me I had not previously known. I'm glad I asked and thankful He answered!

This bears repeating: When we clog our minds with our own agendas, we are closing the door and our spiritual ears to hearing from God. I do not think God micro-manages our thought life but He should be the voice we listen for daily, not a guest speaker.

No comments: