Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Eyes Wide Open


Let me just say right off the bat, I love our new Hebrew-Greek Study Bible! I do not yet understand how to reap all it provides but, what I have gleaned thus far is cause for excitement. The only thing I would change is to have purchased the large print version. Study in the early morning light combined with aging eyes illuminates the need for bigger print! Pardon the pun.

As I have mentioned, I am doing a study on the ministry of Jesus. This morning my reading included the Sermon on the Mount, The Beatitudes. I have to admit, there has been an extended amount of time I read over these verses and assumed I understood them. Today, I can honestly say I have a new perspective and depth of comprehension that has me all atwitter. I just adore study that brings revelation knowledge! I'll take that over a new toy any day! I pondered how to share, asked God to lead me to His preference in methodology. It is too important in the life of every believer to condense it into one writing, so I will take the time to explore and study verse by verse and share as I go.

Today is, for some, the first day of the long Labor Day weekend. My Honey is off work preparing for his annual Labor Day camping retreat with the grandchildren and neighbor kids. They leave this afternoon. Therefore, in light of so many being gone or busy over the holiday weekend, I will wait and start this series on Tuesday.

I would like to say how enriching this study of Jesus has been. I whole-heartedly recommend doing this yourself, doesn't matter if you have done it before, God always shines a new light on that which He wants us to grasp. I am a career student of all things Jesus. I count it all as blessings. I never want to lose that desire to pursue a deeper understanding and connection to the One that has given me so much.

And, now we come full circle as I rave again about the study Bible. This particular study Bible references the definition of the original verbiage of scripture in Hebrew and Greek. Our versions of the Bible, translated many times over, use contemporary language and, often, words condensed to a single meaning, which underscores how it is used today. My Honey is always telling me how Spanish is more versatile than English because there are expanded meanings to simple phrases than the English version. I believe him, though it often befuddles in my literal mind. It is my lack of command of the Spanish language that prevents me from fully appreciating the extent the more versatile language expresses. This is the same with not knowing the Hebrew-Greek definitions of words and the application in which they were understood in Biblical days. It is this very issue that gave me new insight regarding the Sermon on the Mount. I'm excited about sharing with you that which God has given me. Have a great long weekend and see you next week!

No comments: