Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Sunday, July 18, 2010

I Am the Clay

Being a walking, talking, active, and effective Christian means you are willing to go through life in living color, outside of the box, coloring outside the lines, wearing red when all others are in beige. Being an effectual Christian is not for sissies or the faint of heart! It's not just Captain James Kirk that boldly goes where no man has gone before! It is the Christian servant willing to lay down his/her life in service of the Lord. It is a life of action, movement forward, striving, and not being satisfied with status quo! There will always be more people to reach for the Lord, always more miles to cover, more languages to bridge, more hearts to touch, more songs to sing for Jesus.


One of my favorite worship songs declares God is the Potter, I am the clay; The Potter's Hand and goes like this:

Beautiful Lord, wonderful savior

I know for sure, all of my days are held in Your hands

Crafted into Your perfect plan

You gently call me, into Your presence

Guiding me by, Your Holy Spirit

Teach me dear Lord To live all of my life through Your eyes

I'm captured by Your Holy calling

Set me apart, I know You're drawing me to Yourself

Lead me Lord I pray

Take me, Mold me Use me, Fill me

I give my life to the Potter's hands

Hold me, Guide me Lead me,

Walk beside me I give my life to the Potter's hand


Whew! Do you see all those action verbs in there? Does not leave a lot of room for inaction and no mention of stagnation, does it? If we are the clay and He is the Potter, doesn't that mean we give up our rights to make and mold ourselves, much less others?Does the clay on the potter's wheel get to determine its shape, final appearance, and job or service for which created?Scary? Maybe. Worth taking the walk on God's terms? OH, YES!


If we look at the numerous varieties of flowers, trees, animals, races of people, and/or colors of skin, we see God has chosen not to make us alike. Life, Friends, is in living color, look around!. No two snowflakes are alike, why should we then think people and ways of serving, praising, worshiping should all be the same? If anything, we should celebrate the differences with hearty enthusiasm. I like the notion that God put as much individual attention in creating me as He did a snowflake! We are unique individuals with different gifts, skills, talents, and callings from and to the same God.


I believe the key point here is that we never lose the willingness to let God mold us and requires we remain open to change. The clay loses its usefulness when it no longer can be molded into the chosen use of the potter. It seems to me the action verbs mentioned in the above song refutes any notion that the life of a Christian is stagnate, lack luster, same old same old thing. It is fluid, molded, filled, captured, set apart, guided, led, and given away. Action, change, and willingness are required of every Christian if we are to remain useful in serving Him. So, Friends, this is why I said," Being a walking, talking, active, and effective Christian means you are willing to go through life in living color, outside of the box, coloring outside the lines, wearing red when all others are in beige. Being an effectual Christian is not for sissies or the faint of heart!" Mold away, Lord, I'm all yours!

No comments: