Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Hardhat - check! Pickax - check!

In days gone by, God spoke in many and varied ways to the Fathers through the prophets. But now, in the acharit-hayamin (last days), he has spoken to us through his Son, to who, he has given ownership of everything and through whom he created one universe. This Son is the radiance of the Sh'khinah (God's glory), the very expression of God's essence, upholding all that exists by his powerful word; and after he had, through himself, made purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of HaG'dulah BaM'roim (the Greatness on High). Hebrews 1:1-3 from (The Complete Jewish Bible) which names the Book of Hebrews 'Messianic Jews'.


In my reading this morning, I found these words to be so beautiful and lyrical. It seemed a concise explanation of the Gospel in the opening of the letters to the Messianic congregations. I've included the original words where written in my Jewish Bible. I feel it is important that we make a point to remember the times, the people, the culture and the intent that scripture was written. The Bible has so many translations and versions. If the Jewish-ness is taken out, we may not be getting the complete intended picture.


The following is a conversation between two of my friends as they prepared for a mission trip to Africa. This really happened as they were shopping for last minutes things for the trip:

Dana – I need to stop and get some thongs.

Debbie – You do not wear thongs!!

Dana – Yes, I do.

Debbie – You've never worn thongs in your life!!

Dana – I've worn thongs all my life!

Debbie – I don't believe it!

Dana – Well, I have. Then I need to buy a CD.

Debbie – What CD are you getting?

Dana – That's none of your business!!

Debbie – What's the big deal? I'm going to be with you, I'll see it.

Dana – No, you will not, it's none of your business.

Debbie – We're about to spend two weeks together and you won't tell me what CD you're buying?


At the time this conversation took place, Dana was in her early fifties and Debbie in her mid-twenties. Their struggle to communicate came from their different perspectives. When Dana said she needed to buy thongs, she as talking about the rubber shoes we used to call thongs now called flip-flops. When Debbie heard the word thongs, she was thinking about the string like underwear that, by the way, Dana really would NEVER wear. Dana planned to purchase a CD at her bank as an investment. To Debbie, the CD meant the little round disc of music. Both women born and raised in Texas though in different generations and two small words and perspectives created quite a chaotic clamor of miscommunication. We got a lot of mileage in the laugh department out of that scene.


On a note familiar to all, think of the miscommunications that pop up between husband and wife, parent and child. We are occupying common airspace and still the different perspectives can raise havoc. Just try to decipher a text from a teen and my point made! We often look at our loved one and wonder how on earth they can think the way they do. Didn't they hear what we said? Shouldn't that have been plain enough? Yet, many a conversation includes the phrase, "I didn't mean it like that!" Well, that's what you said! Different perspectives from people living in the same space, um hmm, trouble in the making.


I shared that to say this; it doesn't take much for an intent and concept to be misinterpreted when viewed from different perspectives. The original scriptures and letters where written in a time, place, culture and language to which even the earliest of translators were unaccustomed. This is why it is vital that we dig into scripture to understand the perspectives of both the authors and receivers. Jesus spoke in parables in everyday language about everyday life so the common man/woman could understand. I think an injustice to both our own understanding and the original intent is unavoidable when we disregard the flavor and perspective of the time and culture. I doubt a scribe in merry old England had much exposure to Biblical Israel or the Jewish culture. The Gospel is timeless and meant for all. It is people and their perspectives, cultures and finite minds that try to put it in a familiar box to which they can identify and feel comfortable. I'm certain our 'comfort zone' was not what God had in mind. My challenge to us all is to don our hardhats to go mining to dig out the gold hidden within the various translations and version of scripture. I believe the there is more than nuggets of gold waiting for us. I think we will hit the Mother Load when we set aside our modern day perspectives and dig down to the Jewish-ness of it all. That's my opinion and my goal.

No comments: