Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, January 8, 2010

Revving Up Proverbs

1 John 2:27 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be entreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.”


Proverbs is a favorite book in the Bible for me and I read it daily, one chapter a day that corresponds with the day of the month. Today is the eighth day of the month; I read Chapter Eight of Proverbs. Simple and solid.


Wisdom is a common subject matter in all of Proverbs; making this an excellent daily read. I have read that Wisdom is used as the prophetic name for Jesus. This made Proverbs take on a whole new excitement for me. For a while I simply read it as usual but had the thought in my head that Wisdom was Jesus. Now, when I read it, I say Jesus every time I see the word Wisdom.


This opens the verses up with a huge bang for me! Here’s a selection from Chapter Eight from today and Chapter 4 as I would read it.


Proverbs 8:1 Jesus is calling! 4-14 People, I am calling you, raising my voice to all mankind. You, who don’t direct your lives, understand caution; as for you, you fools, get some common sense! Listen! I will say worthwhile things; when I speak my words are right. My mouth says what is true, because my lips detest evil. All the words from my mouth are righteous; nothing false or crooked is in them. They are all clear to those who understand and straightforward to those who gain knowledge. Receive my instruction, rather than silver; knowledge, rather than the finest gold. For Jesus is better than pearls; nothing you want can compare. I, Jesus, live together with caution; I attain knowledge and discretion. The fear of God is hatred of evil. I hate pride and arrogance, evil ways and duplicitous speech. Good advice is mine, and common sense; I am insight, power is mine.


Proverbs 4:6-9 Don’t abandon Jesus; then He will preserve you; love Him, and He will protect you. The beginning of Jesus is: Get Jesus! And along with all your getting, get insight! Cherish Him, and he will exalt you; embrace Him, and he will bring you honor; He will give your head a garland of grace, bestow on you a crown of glory.


I don’t know about you but it thrills me more than I can say to have Jesus speaking directly to me through these verses! Jesus came for me! He talks to me! He talks to you! Proverbs was written long before Jesus walked the earth but He is the living fulfillment of all Messianic prophesies in the Old Testament. Jesus always was and always will be.


Try reading it as if Jesus is talking to you and see if the Lord shows you something new and exciting. There is wisdom in that!

No comments: