Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Good Soil, Good God, Good Growth

We are in the fifth day of the new year and my Christmas vacation is over. New year, new hope, new inspirations, new insights and new beginnings.


As a backyard gardener, each new year brings all the creative ideas bubbling to the surface, however unrealistic they may be. These fall under the category of new garden fantasies. If you have followed my writings for any length of time you have read about my veggie garden. I am neither the most prolific gardener nor the most knowledgeable but I sure enjoy it and it brings a great sense of worth and value to harvest something fresh from my garden and serve it for dinner. Yesterday found my Honey and I working in the garden, doing necessary tasks required before any new planting can be done.


We made progress against the weeds that took over after the bloom of harvest waned. I still have some Swiss chard and mustard greens growing that were left in place in hopes they rally as warmer weather draws near. A few multiplying onions were accidentally dug up and quickly replanted. The herb garden planted in a row boat is looking forlorn and abandoned. Chives still wave gallantly from the stern of the boat. Something nasty has attacked the rosemary and I shall be forced to prune with a hard hand if I am to salvage it. Since it can not live long term in the row boat, this is an excellent time to relocate it to a more suitable spot.


In my head, I plotted out new raised beds. My Honey and I balance each other out, so when I mentioned building twenty four beds across the front hillside to utilize the area that really isn’t usable my Honey reined the garden fantasies back in and suggested three more in the back where the current bed lives. Twenty four raised beds like the one we have now would cost a pretty penny to build, garden soil would have to be trucked in and, let’s face it, I am not physically in the best shape to maintain twenty four beds no matter how thrilling it sounds to my gardener’s ears. My vision of feeding all seven households, ours and the six grown children’s, may come from a place of love and good intentions but in our family, as in the Bible, the laborers are few!!


As I’ve mentioned before, we start the new year out by a specified length of time focused on seeking Gods Will for us in the coming year. This is also a time of planning for our ministry work as well as our family. I’m always excited to see what God has in store for us. Is He is filled with joy to see His people grow spiritually like I am when my bedding plants take off and become productive members of the garden? I think so!


So, Friends, I hope you take so time, too, to ask God to show you how and where to serve Him best in the coming year. I hope, also, that you continue to stay plugged in to your church home or diligently work to find one where you can grow and be spiritually fed. Churches are not like chicken fast food joints, you don’t go to the closet one just because it’s handy; you go where you are free to grow spiritually, fed a steady diet of the Word of God and where you can grow in Christ where you are planted. You can not take those things for granted. There are an amazingly sad number of dead and dying churches out there that put on a pretty face but have nothing nurturing and edifying to offer. All that glitters is not gold. Use wisdom and seek God.


I’m looking forward to seeing where God takes this blog ministry in the coming year as well. I hope you will continue to read Truth in the Morning as part of your daily routines. If you find it insightful and enlightening, Bible based lessons from everyday life, please share with others you know. Something simple and ordinary in a post may be just what someone needs to hear at any given time. That’s my prayer and I’m sticking to it!!

No comments: