Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, January 4, 2010

Revelation Knowledge


Albert Einstein is considered a genius in his fields. This man had a marvelous mind in mathematics and the sciences yet normal routine life seemed difficult for him. As a child, he barely spoke until the age of nine. He failed all subjects except math and science on his first university entrance exam. It is commonly reported this genius did not even know his own home address and would get lost on his frequent walks. He decided not to wear socks because his big toe wore a hole in them. Still, this man which was considered a slow learner as a child became a Nobel Peace Prize winner and is considered a genius.


I for one do not know more about how my television works beyond an invisible signal flies through the air, my antenna retrieves it and when electricity is added to the mix, I can watch it in my living room. I have no desire to know more than that because it meets my needs. I am capable of understanding the process but I function with limited knowledge.


Years ago I prepared for and passed a federal securities exam. When I first undertook this endeavor, it made little sense to me. I might as well been reading the material in Greek, it felt as foreign I decided all my efforts would be in vain unless I changed my ways in how I studied the materials. Every time I ran across a word I neither knew well nor understood in the context is was used, I would write it on index cards. I researched the word and wrote the definition out on the same card. I carried this spiral bundle of cards with me every where I went and would pull it out and read through the words when time allowed; like standing in line at the grocery store for instance. This ‘purposed’ type of study made all the difference in my comprehension and grasp of the subject matter. Unlike my casual approach to the workings of my television, I sought to wring as much knowledge from the material as I could. It paid off; I passed my exam the first time I took it. Many do not.


Of the two approaches to information and knowledge I just used as examples, obviously one will reap more rewards than the other. Certainly, a concerted effort to learn about your subject is better than the shoulder shrugging efforts I have with television. When it comes to study of the Bible, the casual approach is a waste of time. Serious reading and study is good but it is the revelation knowledge that comes from the Holy Spirit making the words jump off the page at you and that ‘light bulb’ of enlightenment flashing in your spirit that brings forth the knowledge that is from God Himself. This is the type of knowledge that makes the words on the pages of the Bible come to life inside your spirit and mind. You can feel the heat and dust of the travels of Jesus and his disciples; you can hear the sea crash against the shore during the storms, smell the electricity in the air as the thousands sat on the side of the mountain as Jesus taught of the Beatitudes. The Word of God comes alive with each new piece of knowledge as it awakens you to an insight unknown to you before. THIS is the knowledge worthy of your time and attention.


Einstein had genius but no common sense. Many people have great intelligence and education, ‘book smart’ but this is not the same as revelation knowledge. You can read the Bible all day every day and not experience true revelation knowledge. You can also sit in your garage for months at a time and yet, you will never be a car. The person who has zealously read the Bible for many years without the Spirits guidance and teaching isn't aware they don't understand it. That person, in their pride, has pieced together many erroneous ideas, and will defend their beliefs. There was a time when I was convinced the Bible was a lovely treasured history book. I had read the Bible; felt I had comprehended the information and defended my position to anyone that tried to tell me differently. I felt little connection to the Old Testament at all; it was, after all in my estimation, out dated and irrelevant to me and my life. My intellect dictated my understanding and it was quite askew. It was not until I begin to understand and receive the Holy Spirit as my teacher that I experienced the Word of God with revelation knowledge.


Oh, my! I cannot explain how that first moment of real, true revelation knowledge changed my life. I felt as if I had never read the Bible at all. I became like a sponge, soaking up every word, every insight, every moment I could. My prayers took on new meaning. My Bible reading became an adventure of spiritual awakening. Words I read before jumped off the page at me with a clarity I had not previously known. I felt as if God was taking me to a spiritual plane I wasn’t aware of before. It was one of the most precious gifts I have received from the Lord. That’s how I saw it, a gift of spiritual awakening.


To this day I do not take revelation knowledge for granted. I seek it, I thirst after it, and I am eternally thankful for it. Many people have no Biblical understanding at all. Too many are satisfied with as little as my television knowledge. Far more think their intellectual knowledge of the Word of God is superior. However, Friends, there is nothing like the revelation knowledge that only comes from the Holy Spirit imparting it in your spirit as the true message of God. Be satisfied with nothing less!

No comments: