Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, December 4, 2009

In Times of Trouble

Times of Trouble are perhaps one of the most common afflictions known to man. If you are alive you will have trouble. Matters not your country of origin, faith, age or economical scale, Trouble will stalk and attack you as surely as the lion does a gazelle. Wild Kingdom has nothing over real life when it comes to the appetite of Trouble.


Scripture affirms we will encounter Trouble. Matthew 6:34 "So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. This scripture alone talks of Trouble being a daily issue. Why, then, are so many surprised when they find themselves face to face with a myriad of circumstance and situations hurled at them by Trouble? We’ve all heard someone lamenting their latest dilemma and asking what could possibly go wrong next. Perhaps the voice was familiar; perhaps it was your own. Fear not; you do not have to look for Trouble, it will find you.


Luke 12:22 And [Jesus] said to His disciples, Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious and troubled [with cares] about your life, as to what you will [have to] eat; or about your body, as to what you will [have to] wear. Almost sounds too simple and naïve to think we are not to worry over the basics of living, doesn’t it? When we ponder these issues with our finite minds it seems impossible not to stress over them, yet God is not limited by a finite mind. Scripture goes on to tell us we can expect life to be hard but we are not to walk in fear when it looks like darkness is closing in. Matthew 24:6 And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars; see that you are not frightened or troubled, for this must take place, but the end is not yet. 2 Timothy 3:1 BUT UNDERSTAND this, that in the last days will come (set in) perilous times of great stress and trouble [hard to deal with and hard to bear]. 2 Timothy 3:3 [They will be] without natural [human] affection (callous and inhuman), relentless (admitting of no truce or appeasement); [they will be] slanderers (false accusers, troublemakers), intemperate and loose in morals and conduct, uncontrolled and fierce, haters of good.


Scripture also reassures us we can count on the Lord to protect us. Psalm 9:9 The Lord also will be a refuge and a high tower for the oppressed, a refuge and a stronghold in times of trouble (high cost, destitution, and desperation). Psalm 27:5 For in the day of trouble He will hide me in His shelter; in the secret place of His tent will He hide me; He will set me high upon a rock. Psalm 41:1 BLESSED (HAPPY, fortunate, to be envied) is he who considers the weak and the poor; the Lord will deliver him in the time of evil and trouble. Psalm 91:15 He shall call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. Psalm 138:7 Though I walk in the midst of trouble, You will revive me; You will stretch forth Your hand against the wrath of my enemies, and Your right hand will save me.


In our weakness and times of trouble He will not fail or forsake us. Habakkuk 3:19
The Lord God is my Strength, my personal bravery, and my invincible army; He makes my feet like hinds' feet and will make me to walk [not to stand still in terror, but to walk] and make [spiritual] progress upon my high places [of trouble, suffering, or responsibility]!


2 Corinthians 12:9
But He said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness. Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me!


So, Friends, my prayer for us all is that we stand on our faith rather than hang by our fingertips when Trouble is breathing down our necks.

No comments: