Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Monday, December 7, 2009

Feeding the Soul

Last night we had dinner with family at Olive Garden. My entrée of choice was a Shrimp and Asparagus Risotto, delightful to all of the senses. Yes, even hearing; if I sit very still I can recall the low rumbling ‘umm’s” uttered by Haylie and me as we indulged our appetites with the creamy risotto. The good news about the overly generous portions served in American restaurants is that you have leftovers to take home. I had my leftover risotto for breakfast this morning. The sad news is that it was just enough to wake up the taste buds but not enough to satiate the demands of the growling tummy.


Tapas are a delightful custom brought to us by our culinary brothers in Spain. Tapas are small portions of real food eaten when imbibing alcohol; rather like the appetizers with which we are more accustomed. The original idea was one tapa per drink. A variety of tapas were available, so each person was able to enjoy many small tongue tickling delights. Now, Tapas bars are everywhere (except in my small town apparently) and it is fashionable, if we are to believe programming on PBS, to make an entire meal from tapas alone. Initially they were intended to whet the appetite for the meal but I can see where having enough of them can fill you up. So, technically, based on the definition of tapas and taking into consideration my choice of drink was coffee; my risotto breakfast could be considered an Italian version of a Spanish tapa. Confused yet?


While small samplings of tasty food might be an interesting way to tantalize the tongue, it becomes a danger when people approach their ‘religion’ or faith decisions the same way. A little bit of this, a little bit of that is not the way to build a strong foundation of faith. Like tapas, different faiths can offer inviting and colorful bits to entice you. You can mix and match tidbits and come up with a custom made variation to suit you personally. Once upon a time I, too, felt that my faith choices were personal and customized my very own. Dangerous mentality, that! It was based on the tidbits I found appealing and I discarded issues I chose to ignore. I thought it fit me to a tee. There is none so blind as she who will not see!


You see, I was unknowingly practicing a form of Humanism and not true Christianity. I considered myself a Christian but made my own determinations as to what that meant. Let me state this clearly: I was wrong! I had taken a “tapas mentality” in determining which appealing tidbits to incorporate into my faith rather than relying on the written Word of God. I had completely deluded myself into thinking my smorgasbord of ideologies would bring about the beginning and end of all I needed spiritually. Again: I was wrong! I was spiritually depleted and nothing brought about ‘that peace which surpasses all understanding”.


It wasn’t until I passed up the appetizers of worldly faith and got into the meat and potatoes of Christianity that I understood what I was lacking and felt satiated in my soul. A steady diet of the Word of God, followed by frequent meals of study and prayer were the only things ‘to satisfy (as a need or desire) fully or to excess’; the very definition of satiate.


By the way, I followed the risotto tapa with a hardy bowl of steel cut oats with a little honey and cinnamon. Not as colorful and fancy as the risotto but pure foundation building nutrition. Then, and only then, was I able to get about the business of working for the Father. There’s a lesson in that.

No comments: