Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Giving Thanks

Psalm 28:7 The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.

Having been out for a while, I was excited to get back to Truth in the Morning. I enjoyed my first cup of coffee at 3am and prepared to ‘get to busy’. That was when the first rolls of thunder and flashes of lightening started. No wisdom being on the computer during a thunder storm so I unplugged it and crawled back into my cozy bed with another cup of coffee to read. Note to self: box of books in trunk is useless in wee hours during storm.

The silver lining of bookless, computer-less state was that I had a divine opportunity to just lie in bed and listen to the storm. When the power of nature is swirling all around you, it is a perfect time to thank the Lord for all He has done. Some praise, some prayer and the peace of Him lulled me into a sweet spot knowing all is well with my soul. I fell back to sleep and rested during the rest of the storm. Fell asleep thankful and woke thankful. A sweet spot, indeed!

The whole reason for saying thanks is to let the giver of a gift know how much you appreciate something. Author G. B. Stern once said, Silent gratitude isn’t much use to anyone.”

William Arthur Ward said, “Feeling gratitude and not expressing it is like wrapping a present and not giving it.”

Showing our gratitude is obviously important in human relationships, but it’s even more essential in our relationship with God. As we think about the many blessings we have received, do we express our thanks to Him throughout the day? And when we think of the amazing gift of His death and resurrection for forgiveness of our sins, do our hearts bubble over with awe and thanksgiving? (Rom. 6:23; 2 Cor. 9:15).

Take the reminder in Psalm 107:1 to heart each day: “Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!”

No comments: