Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Face of the Day

Jerimiah 31:10-14 “Hear the word of the LORD, you nations; proclaim it in distant coastlands: ‘He who scattered Israel will gather them and will watch over his flock like a shepherd.’ For the LORD will deliver Jacob and redeem them from the hand of those stronger than they. They will come and shout for joy on the heights of Zion; they will rejoice in the bounty of the LORD— the grain, the new wine and the olive oil, the young of the flocks and herds. They will be like a well-watered garden, and they will sorrow no more. Then young women will dance and be glad, young men and old as well. I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow. I will satisfy the priests with abundance, and my people will be filled with my bounty,” declares the LORD.

Everyday folks have everyday problems. Not everyone struggles daily with deep, dark issues, yet nearly everyone struggles with something. People are in pain, be it physical, emotional, spiritual and/or mental. Some people deal with their issues aloud and want everyone to know. Others put on a cloak of stoic silence, internalizing everything. Still others mask their pain of any sort and walk behind a façade of cheerfulness. Some ignore their pain and pretend it doesn’t exist. Some want you to suffer along with them. Hurting people tend to hurt other people, however, and knowingly or not, strike out and wound those around them.

As a people watcher, I observe others from a distance and it is interesting to see how people cope. For instance, recently I had lunch out with my sister. Our waiter appeared to be in his early to mid-twenties. He presented an eager smile and accommodating attitude…one you hope to find in wait staff. However, as he turned his face from our immediate attention, his smiled faded instantly and heaviness came over him. I watched him visually survey his tables as he scurried away…yes, scurried. He did not walk like a man with a purpose but rather scurried like a large mouse from table to table, asking if his customers were still pleased. Each time he approached a table, the practiced smile would appear…until he turned his head again. It struck me that this waiter was a fairly accurate representation of most people; he put on his public face as needed yet instantly slipped back into his private face within one half a step away. I remember thinking that much face changing must be exhausting.

Just look at the comments I found in my morning reading today alone!
You don’t realize the work it takes for a semblance of stability until you’re the one constructing it. I was always going, and then going away; and, I never really grew to appreciate my home, not fully, I think.

Not until now did I realize, nor would I admit, that I am critical because I want it back, on my own terms. Terms impossible to meet in my world, as it grows and expands,

I am critical because I feel like I can only manage sneak peeks into a memory of a life from which I have grown apart, and which has grown beyond the borders in my mind, and somehow makes me feel guilty. I feel reduced to a voyeur into a holy place existing primarily in the past, a place I have lost, or have lost track of.

But after a while, my soul feels overworked, a bit bruised and sore, even exhausted and raw.

I wanted nothing more than to crawl into a deep, dark hole and pull it in after me, so long as I didn't have to hear another human voice or make intelligent conversation for a good long while. 

Yes, people are hurting. People are wearing faces which reflect reality of life in this world and the faces they wish to show the world. The good news is God has promised…I will turn their mourning into gladness; I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow. He sees beyond the faces we wear. We need concern ourselves only with turning our face toward Him.

No comments: