Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Would You Pass the Test?

Salvation is for those who are willing to forsake everything for Jesus Christ. On the surface, that might seem like an obvious statement and we confirm with a wave of our hand and shrug of our shoulder…"Sure, I believe that." and walk away feeling secure in our personal salvation. Is it really that simple, do you think?


I wonder how we would measure up if Jesus should give us a little pop quiz. Would we really be willing to surrender everything to Him. It's great to sing about it in a song but how do we react in practical application?


I have a vivid and clear memory of driving north on Hwy 183 in Austin, Tx, one day and heard with my spiritual ears the phrase, 'After you give your car away.." My reaction cut the rest of the sentence off! What do you mean, 'after I give my car away'? I just paid my car off, why would I give it away?! I knew, as soon as the words came out of my mouth, I had just failed a test. I was ashamed and wanted to cry. You see, I was thinking about my application to go do a two-year internship with a ministry in Africa. Thinking I was prepared for any and all sacrifices to do this, the car comment showed I still had a ways to go before I was truly prepared to forsake all to follow Christ into Africa. God didn't have to strike me down with a bolt of lightening for me to feel as if I had been. The realization that I balked at giving away a stupid car I would not be using for at least two years anyway slammed home the point that I was not totally surrendered for Christ. I had not realized I valued my material possessions that much. Painful reckoning.


"Ok,' you might say, "maybe that shows you were not ready to go to Africa for two years but does that really warrant cause to question your salvation? After all, you accepted Jesus into your heart, isn't that the criteria for salvation? You live a decent life, go to church, tithe, and serve Him, isn't that enough?"


Is it? Is that all it takes? Is that how Jesus sees it or is that how we interpret it in our modern version of His messages so we can get more people to accept Jesus?


Here's some food for thought…consider the scripture in Matthew about the rich, young ruler coming to Jesus to ask what he must do to obtain eternal life. This guy had it going on. He eagerly sought Jesus out, making his way through a crowd of followers to ask what he needed to do. He knelt before Jesus in humble submission to make his request. He called Jesus master, teacher; it was evident he recognized that Jesus had the answers he was seeking. He asked the right questions, 'What good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?' He had great wealth, perhaps he would contribute to the cause by supporting Jesus' ministry or help out the poor. By all accounts, he was a learned man that followed the laws of his Jewish faith. He professed to follow the commandments and considered himself to be without sin. On the surface, this young man appeared to be a fine candidate to be a disciple of Christ. Yet…Jesus did not welcome him as a disciple with open arms, though we are told in scripture in Mark 10:21, "And looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him." Ok….recapping, this man seemed to be doing everything right yet Jesus did not promise him eternal life. Why?


Jesus looks into our hearts and knows the very core of us. Though this man felt he conformed and qualified for eternal life, Jesus knew the areas in his heart that were not surrendered. First, I believe, is that this man did not see his own sin. Raised on Mosaic Law, he measured himself against what he understood the law to be and found himself guiltless. If we do not acknowledge our sin and truly know we have sinned against God, how can we come to the cross and be repentant? It required a sincere desire to turn away from those things that God finds unpleasing. If we believe we are free from sin, we deceive ourselves. Secondly, Jesus knew his heart regarding his wealth and possessions.


Thus the test…."If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me" (Matthew 19:21)


Was Jesus saying we have to give everything away to have eternal life? No. He was saying that we have to be willing to surrender all, to cling to nothing taking precedence over Christ. (Luke 14:33) By placing Himself alongside the man's wealth and demanding he make a choice, our Lord revealed the true state of the young man's heart. Jesus' request was simply meant to establish whether he was willing to submit to the sovereignty of Jesus over his life. Matthew 19:22 says, "When the young man heard this statement, he went away grieved; for he was one that owned much property." He clung to his things of this world.


Saving faith is a commitment to leave sin and follow Jesus Christ at all cost. Jesus takes no one unwilling to come on those terms. The Lord Jesus does not take sinners on their own terms. Something to think about.

No comments: