Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thursday, August 19, 2010

Get Out of my Head


I feel I have spent my entire summer trying to get my act together. Maybe this entire year…or several past years! Egad! Somewhere along the line I zigged when I should have zagged and now I look up…regularly… and wonder how I got to this point. I had plans, goals, and direction of purpose….didn't I? I find I question myself about those plans, question my commitment to them, even the sincerity of my intent.  


In part, I believe I have let outside circumstances affect me. I always seem to be waiting on something to happen before I can move on to the next step. I must say, that's nuts and counter-productive! Am I so easily distracted and discouraged that I am swayed from my vision and target goal? As I sit here writing this, I chuckled because I am waiting on the weekend guest we are expecting to come and go so I can move my home office to the guest room in order to help reduce distractions when I work.. Aughh! See what I mean?


In my quest to eliminate distractions, I am working toward paring down the 'things' in my house that vie for my attention. Why do we, I ask myself, need things that require storage? If it can be stored away and not used regularly, do we really need it in the first place? If they are not being utilized…set them free, bless others that may really need them and shake yourself loose from the encumbrance of unnecessary stuff! Stuff distracts. Stuff starts moving in on your personal space. Stuff steals your time when you are trying to accomplish something and continually rearranging the stuff to make anything else happen.


You can box up material stuff and cart it off. Mental and emotional stuff can steal your focus and time as well. We all have issues that require our time and attention but we must be on our toes to not allow our focus get misdirected by anything that is not of God. Therein lays my problem. I have been lax about guarding my thoughts. I'm not plagued with carnal thoughts, just have allowed my focus to be bombarded by so many thoughts and issues. If my mind is clouded with extraneous issues, I am not being productive.


The following is part of a prayer out of Prayers that avail much:

In the name of Jesus, I take authority over my thought life….With my soul I will bless the Lord with every thought and purpose in life. My mind will not wander out of the presence of God. My life shall glorify the Father - spirit, soul and body …I gird up the loins of my mind, and I set my mind and keep it set on what is above – the higher things – not of the things here on earth…..I have the mind of Christ the Messiah, and do hold the thoughts (feelings and purposes) of His heart. In the name of Jesus, I will practice what I have learned and received and heard and seen in Christ and model my way of living on it, and the God of peace – of untroubled, undisturbed well-being – will be with me. In Jesus' name, amen!

That's my prayer for my life and yours!

No comments: