Bible Verse of the Day


2 Peter 1:5-8


For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Walk in the Garden

Yesterday's morning's tour of the garden brought conviction on me and I have no one to blame but myself. My herb garden is in a canoe we found abandoned by the side of the road a few years ago. It brings a great deal of joy to me; green and lush, overflowing with herbs of every sort and color. This year it has taken a back seat to the veggie garden and I have not taken the time or replaced plants lost to a rare freeze on the herb garden. It shows!

I also could see that my lack of attention in not pulling weeds had made a difference. Typically, I diligently pull them out as I make the coffee tour. This maintenance habit only takes a moment or two because I did it everyday. However, this year I got lazy, distracted by other things and didn't take the time. I still made my rounds to review all the green soldiers lined up for inspection, to marvel at how sweet basil smells when you simply rub it gently between your fingers, to water and feed them but not the daily maintenance work. Morning sun brought the reality of my lack of attention in full view as I walked with two of my grandbabies, giving them the garden tour. After the light of morning blossomed in her full glory, I could also see damage done by pesky grasshoppers. My precious herb garden looks ragged and just plain ugly.

As usual, God took the opportunity to tap me on the shoulder to make a point. Our relationship with God is alive and growing, just like our plants. It is not something we can ignore until it's convenient and then be stumped about why we have weeds popping up in our lives. Weeds are more than just ugly, some weeds are, in fact, very pretty; much like sin can appear to be. However, they compete with the plants for life giving water and nutrients. They can literally choke out good plants, thus reducing or completely destroying the harvest you anticipated.

This is why we daily need time with God, time reading scripture and in prayer. This is maintaining that relationship; this is weed control. Weeds aside, there is the issue of the nasty grasshopper. Even if you're daily spending time preventing weeds from taking over, sometimes grasshoppers come along to chew up your world. They can come in the form of illness, tragedy, financial difficulties or relationship issues with those you love. Grasshoppers happen!!

In the time of plague in your life, isn't it comforting to know the Master Gardener, Himself, is watching out for you?!! Imagine the plight our poor herb garden would have to endure if they didn't have me there to protect them from the demon grasshoppers. Imagine the plight our lives would have to endure without God there for us!! God will always do His part when we do our part.

Nurturing our relationship with God, walking on the paths He would have us walk, pulling the weeds (sins) out of our lives daily by acknowledging, confessing and repenting, all these things are our part to do. He is the Living Water that produces growth, He is the Light that gives life, He is the Master Gardener that protects, heals and provides for us. Grasshoppers come but He is always there!

No comments: